• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• I apologize to anyone who is disappointed with their experience on The Hobby-Machinist.

Anyone who made a donation within the last year who would like a refund, please PM me and I will refund your money.

Again, my apologies.

Nelson

[4]

What is this white substance called?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

tip32a

Swarf
Registered
I have a general machine tool question and was looking to post it in a forum. I
registered on your service but I am not allowed to post.

What do I have to do to post a question?
Or maybe you can answer it.
The dentist uses a "carbon paper" called articulating paper or film to see where
your teeth are grinding. This is usually available in red and blue.

I have seen a white substance used in a machine shop to do the same with precision
parts. I cannot find what it is called or if maybe it was their own mixture. It
went on like white out but quickly dried to a white chalk that could be easily wiped
away.

I was thinking it was liquid gym chalk but that goes on too thin. This went on like
whiteout.

Thanks Tom..

MrWhoopee

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
Hi-spot blue (prussian blue) is commonly used for this purpose. It does not dry. I'm not familiar with a white formulation.

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
I don't think I have even seen white, normally what you are describing is blue. But maybe you saw a paint pen? Much like whiteout.

RJSakowski

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I will use a Sharpie to find high spots. I coat one part and mate the two parts with a slight movement between. The shiney spots indicate contact. Tom Lipton, Ox Tools, did a measurement in Sharpie coating thickness and found it to be less than a thousandth.

Richard King 2

Master Machine Tool Rebuilder & Instructor
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
In the past I have used white Canode die spotting ink but the Mfg. stopped making it, Old timers used white lead powder between mag chucks on a surface grinder. Years ago I used red lead as a highlighter for 2 colors when scraping ways. it was an orange color powder that we mixed with oil and thinner to make a paste we would spread on with a hard felt pad and then wiped off.
I have heard that some scrapers mixed white lead powder like I did with red lead.

Just recently I have been experimenting with a water soluble ink called Charbonnel Ink and it comes in white. I dilute it with Windex

Last edited:
[6]
[5] [7]