What is this?

tmenyc

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Came home in a flea market bucket...looks like it was meant to cut but isn't, and does not appear to have been, sharp. The marked point pivots down when the handle.is squeezed, and the two screws tighten what it holds, and there is an depth adjuster with screw. OAL is 7.5", so not huge leverage. Blue box not related. So curious!

Tim
20190429_163559.jpg20190429_161100.jpg

Is it an antique version of an ear notcher for marking livestock? You know, after the pigs get their vaccinations and what not.

I have an old (1930's European) saw setting pliers that looks kind of like that. This one has a lot of similarities. Oddly, my grandmother said they also used to use it on the farm for breaking the tips of the teeth of, ...wait for it..., piglets!

-frank

I'm with Frank. I think that tool is used to uniformly re-set the teeth on a hand saw.

Had to wait until I got home from work to take a picture. These were more for regular carpentry type saws as opposed to the larger bucking or firewood saws. Not exactly sure which grandfather they belonged to either, both sets of tools came to my Dad first before me. Always thought they were neat looking though.

-frank

image.jpeg

Whoa, what a beautiful piece. They don't make them like they used to, although those probably cost a week's wages when new.

Yours is much nicer than the one I saw. Mine must have gotten hard use, or wood or pigs!
Tim

Whoa, what a beautiful piece. They don't make them like they used to, although those probably cost a week's wages when new.
And that beauty often has what attached to it? The company is someones NAME, [ie] Dietzgen, Kueffel & Eisser, Peck Stow & Wilcox, Starrett, Smith & Wesson; you get the idea

Back