What is this?

Gaffer

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
This device came in the box of goodies with my lathe purchase. I can't identify it or figure out its intended use. It is machined to fit on the bed ways and has a dial to adjust the lateral movement. An edge finder of the sort?

IMG-7563.jpgIMG-7564.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-7563.jpg
    IMG-7563.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 31
That's cool! For sure to fit on lathe bed? Not a part of a surface gauge? I wonder if it was used inplace of an indicator for truing a part. Sure looks like a scribe.

It's sits perfectly on the V and flat as if it was machined specifically for it. :surrender:

It would be pure speculation on my part, but I would do some theorizing if I may. I often use such a device on a "homade" surface plate in my model work. I build model steam locomotives.(trains) Usually setting the level of a model boiler and attach the catwalks on each side. If I were to turn a boiler on the lathe, such a device could be used for a similar purpose, In reality, it wouldn't work because a loco boiler isn't round, just circular. But the idea applies. I would speculate there is something that was turned and needed a longitudinal line for its' length or a part thereof. Not much help, but it might get the creative juices flowing.

Most surface gauges have a V in the bottom so it could be used on a shaft.

Surface gage . They set it up for dialing in a 4 jaw . Replace the scribe with an indicator and use it .

It falls under the heading of 'Cool Stuff'.
No 'Makers Mark' - I'd figure on some Tool Maker having made it up for a certain application.

I agree the V-groove implies it looks like a lathe accessory. Perhaps use it as tool height checker/setter?

Think about exchanging the scribe for a Last Word or other DTI.

Surface gage . They set it up for dialing in a 4 jaw . Replace the scribe with an indicator and use it .
Thank you. I'll give it a shot. I've yet to play with the 4-jaw.

When I was 9, dad started teaching me how to use his lathe but I used a rod in the lantern style toolpost to do as you stated. (Thank goodness for QCTPs now)

Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk

Back