What is this

Cadillac

Registered
Registered
I had got this acouple years ago at the flea market. When I saw it I saw a base for a lamp. I have a good friend that is a life long electrician and I thought to build him a electrical themed lamp out of it.
4E03AE45-1F7F-4A3D-9651-6AE89A4F3732.jpeg3736CE0D-95D5-447A-8751-AFD7D09F9720.jpeg
My question is what is this contraption? I didn’t get anything that plugs in so I don’t know what would plug in the input and output. The metal laminate wrapped with copper is that a magnetic? I tried googling carbon sun ray and didn’t get anywhere. I just wanna know what I got here before I convert it into some art.

The wrapped up part is a transformer by the looks.
It would be consistent with a ballast for lighting

The black center ring is a insulator type of material. There is a hole in the base center for something a rod or pole idk. The volt meter makes me think it was used professionally again idk. I haven’t tried plugging it in and taking some readings. If I have some time this weekend I’ll try and do so and give a update. Thanks guys

Is it a carbon arc lamp as used in graphic arts or studio lighting?
The "atomic" logo reminds me of Yamaha...

Is it a carbon arc lamp as used in graphic arts or studio lighting?
The "atomic" logo reminds me of Yamaha...
I don’t know is it? I haven’t been able to find any info or pictures to say so. When google carbon sun ray stuff like what branden pictured shows up. This device looks better put together, refined, then what I’ve seen on the webs down nothing that looks like it. Why would it have a volt meter expectially since you can’t adjust anything?

From what I found it is for a sketchy 1960s tanning lamp looks safe!

Holy crap.....I have a similar homemade carbon-arc outfit for brazing.
For thin steel it also welds.

Sure it could easily give a tan.....much the same as any welder tan....very scary!

The dancing purple arc is beautiful, but without protection would be dangerous.

-brino

What Braden posted is a carbon arc lamp. I suspect that what you have is the power supply for this type of lamp. Not sure what the intended use was, tanning? Carbon arc exposure units and light sources were used in graphic arts cameras and plate makers I am familiar with those what you have doesnt resemble anything I have seen from that industry. It would be an effective tanning unit is my guess. We had an operator use an exposure unit without the glass shield 'which he broke while servicing the unit" he got severe welders flash burns in his eyes and a serious sunburn on his face

Back