What is TIG and MIG?

One of the advantages of the "moderately maligned" Flux wire welding rigs, is the ability to work outside where a breeze pushes the shielding gas from a classical MIG welder out of the envelope space. Properly performed, and with the right flux core wire, the slag left on the surface of the weld brushes away rather easily. Other key things to remember with flux core welding is "correct polarity" and using "spatter spray" to reduce the amount of spattered metal deposited outside the weld area. Flux Core welding often results in the "least pretty" weld, but is quite strong.

I got into Flux core because it was the cheapest bottom rung of the welding ladder I could climb onto, which is perfect for my very occasional use. What moved me also was the HF welder being an inverter DC style, which from all reviews gives much less splatter than an AC only rig. Add to that the fact that I didn't have to set up a 240 volt connection to use it and it was just right for my needs. Even my friend with the Miller rig was impressed with how well that little welder handled the jobs we threw at it.

Back