What is/was this high speed drill press used for ?

Nashtm

Registered
Registered
Hi All

I acquired this cute little drill press, could you enlighten me as to its intended use? It is very heavily built and originally went to a very high speed.
I saw originally as the the speed plate on the side shows up to 18000rpm but I am sure the pulleys have been changed.
It isnt a sensitive drill design but the quill has a light return spring and uses an eccentric weight on the quill lever to help return the quill to the top.
It has a South African plate on the motor but no makers name on it.

I also don't understand how the speeds were achieved according to the diagram.
There is no intermediate pulley, the shaft in that position is used to lower or raise the drill head.
The quill shaft is keyed but the pulley it has on now is held on only by a grub screw.

IMG_20171202_203235924.jpg
IMG_20171202_203340722.jpg

IMG_20171202_203304246.jpg
IMG_20171202_203417166.jpg

IMG_20171202_203444459.jpg

With a 3600 rpm motor you would need a 5 to 1 pulley ratio to hit 18000 rpm. I think it is intended to be a 2 speed machine unless you change between pulley sizes - large, medium or small cone. The diagram shows what speeds are available with each size cone (pulley).

Looks like a Watch makers type of drill press for small parts. Doesn't appear to be a sensitive type drill press like the venerable Hamilton or cheaper Dumore., if it is, please let us know. What kind of taper or is it a threaded type? Interesting drill press.

Thanks for the replies!
bl00
It bears a striking resemblance to the Rosa and must be a watchmakers drill. (I initially thought it was for another purpose as it is so heavy).
I think you are spot on about the different pulleys to achieve the speeds. It has a 2400 rpm motor so ratio is even greater. Wonder if it had a belt and cone initially?

EmilioG
It has a No. 0 Jacobs chuck - don't know where I am going to get a key for it!!
Appears to be threaded.

This was kept for me by a scrapyard that I frequent after they bought a bunch of redundant /scrap items from a timber merchant.
The quill has no play in it and I want to get this going so i can get rid of my Dremel press.

Tim

I have several small chuck keys. If you can tell me what the pilot hole size is and roughly the tooth pitch I will see if I have one.

The fourth picture of the belt cones or pulleys, appears to be missing the center pulley. In any case it's just the idler so it would not be too much trouble to bring it back to life. Its a nice little surdy drill IMO.

Thanks Billh50 that is a very kind offer but I live in South Africa :oops:

Tim9 That shaft is for raising and lowering the head. I am going to give some thought as to how to implement the high speeds as it will be very handy to have a high speed press.

Back