What Is Your Favorite Soaking And Cleaning Agent?

catskinner

Registered
Registered
What do you guys use to soak parts in? And what do you use when you clean a machine that is not disassembled?

I guess it depends on what the parts are made of, Catskinner. When I rebuilt an old Willys Jeep, I got a small parts washer and mixed a couple gallons mineral spirit paint thinner with pint of transmission fluid. It helps keep it from drying out your skin. When wiping down greasy machines, I just use the cheapest paint thinner they've got.

Zep makes a good citrus based de-greaser they sell at Home Depot.

When I was a kid, I used gasoline but that wasn't very smart. But, all the mechanics did it in the olden days.

Good info Franko, I also use mineral spirits but like the ATF idea. I got one of those bottles that you put fluid in and then charge with compressed air to spray as a cleaner or lubricator. Ok guys keep the ideas flowing.

Diesel Fuel, Kerosene,Mineral Spirits, Carb Clean,MEK ,Lacquer thinner if it is disassembled.
for assembled stuff, mineral oil and steel wool

Last edited:
sometimes stains that will not come off with the items the others have listed will come off with WD40
be careful of purple stuff it can change the color or your paints encourage rust and even erase decals
I wiped all the numbers off the shop phone keypad with it
Steve

sometimes stains that will not come off with the items the others have listed will come off with WD40
be careful of purple stuff it can change the color or your paints encourage rust and even erase decals
Steve

That's some funny stuff, wiped the numbers right off.

Steve

Simple green will do the same thing . { ROF} .

PS We need the old smiles back.

Back