What is your opinion of this Bridgeport? Buying Advice

That’s a killer deal around here (West Texas-New Mexico) looked pretty clean to me... the ways did look a little too clean :/ my Search radius kept expanding and took me almost a year to find “the one” I was hoping to find something like that within 5-6 hour of me to no avail.... my budget went from 3-4K to 5-6k ended up picking one up in Houston (12 hour drive) for 4K with no tooling. So yeah I’d probably buy that in a heartbeat

Looks like a nice mill. Price is at the high end for my location but we're swimming in used machines around here... Offer a little less and see what he says.

The veri-speed sounds a bit noisy, probably the plastic bushing on the motor shaft, or maybe just the belt. A VFD or the static phase converter will run it just fine.

The dings in the top of the V are from chips getting between the saddle and the ways, not a big deal, it's not a wear surface, just clearance. A way cover would eliminate that problem. The ways look good from what I could see.

The power feed is a bit noisy, sounds like it could use some grease. Could also be that the ways are dry and the machine just needs to be cleaned and lubed, or maybe the table lock is snugged up.

Machine prices vary by region and availability. I would probably not pay $3250 for that machine around here, but there are several similar machines available, including the rather hopeful fellow who wants $8000 for one exactly like we are talking about here. o_O

Right, yeah, there is one on my local CL that is over 8 grand- it's nice but no way!

I appreciate your comments about the pricing, power feed, and condition. I have been reading a lot about all the aspects of the vari-speed drive and I agree that if serviced, it will likely be satisfactory.

One good thing about a machine with a few dings is it makes it hurt a lot less when you make the first good ding of your own. . . Like the first door ding in a brand new car- always the worst!

I recently made a deal on a barely used 1965 Vari-Speed similar to yours. We agreed on $3800. The seller bought the mill new and has hardly used it since. It also came with a pretty nice pile of tooling. If your area is like mine, machinery is not easy to find and I was very lucky to come across this one. Prices are going to tend to be higher in areas where machinery is harder to come by. I'm also getting his 14 1/2x72 South Bend of like vintage with some attachments still in their original boxes.

Wow, I would gladly drop $3800 on a one-owner machine. Great find! Tooling also. . . And yes, this area is sort of a desert for used machines like this. Not many of those out here where farming is the activity rather than manufacturing, I suppose.

Get out there an buy it. If you want to buy a mill, then quit dithering and get at it. That is not a "bad" machine. You are buying a used machine off Craig's list - there is no guarantee. Even if the seller is totally genuine, the machine may fail the first time you try it. Even if you buy a new machine, that still does not ensure there is no problem (yes there there will be a warranty, but there may still be problems). That is not a "bad machine" - all used machines need TLC - that is what puts it in your price range. Of course you will need to do some cleaning and fixing.

As others have said, just clean and service it. You will discover a number of things that need repair - so fix them, and start using it. Once you know what you actually have - then you can decide how you want to fancy it up.

That machine is fine. Don't expect it to be perfect. The base machine seems to be fine, so buy it, haul it home and get to work.

Strictly speaking the price does not really matter (a few hundred extra is fine). You can easily blow more than that if the transport is further or if you have to spend much time mucking around. . . .. Don't sweat it, just get in the game.

Thanks Chipper, that is some really great advice and I'm going to take it. I agree with your assessment of the deal and what to expect. You are totally right to get it going before I make elaborate plans about changing the drive system.

And it's almost like you know me, to tell me to quit expecting perfection and get to making chips. No doubt I should! And I won't worry if I pay a few more dollars than the next guy, every guy has his good deals and his ok deals, it won't kill me. The cash for this is coming from the sale of some absolutely useless pinball machines so really, I can't go wrong.

That’s a killer deal around here (West Texas-New Mexico) looked pretty clean to me... the ways did look a little too clean :/ my Search radius kept expanding and took me almost a year to find “the one” I was hoping to find something like that within 5-6 hour of me to no avail.... my budget went from 3-4K to 5-6k ended up picking one up in Houston (12 hour drive) for 4K with no tooling. So yeah I’d probably buy that in a heartbeat

Yeah, I'll be sure to take a good look, and try everything out- if it appears rescraped I'll reassess- Hopefully I'm just lucky and it's just seen little use. I appreciate your pricing information. I'm not too far from you, and yeah, these don't come up much out here.

Looks like a nice mill. Price is at the high end for my location but we're swimming in used machines around here... Offer a little less and see what he says.

Great advice, and I'm going to take it. Based on some research, some soul search, and of course the great advice you guys helped me with, I made up my mind and made an offer. Dude might dismiss me as a lowballer, I'm completely prepared for that. He might counter. He might accept. If he accepts, I'm committed to rent the trailer, make the drive, and fork the cash.

I hope he does- I offered a price that was just a few hundred more than I wanted to pay, and a few hundred less than what he wanted to get. We'll have to wait and see!

Wish me luck, or at least a "you suck" if I get it, and if I do, a new thread will be born:

"Another Milling Noob Gets a Crusty old Bridgie that he has jack for knowledge about- Watch as he stumbles and blunders his way through overhaul and first cuts!"

Yeah, that sounds about right. You guys will enjoy watching me get in way over my head, which I will do, guaranteed!

Well, the offer was accepted, and that mill is coming home with me. Of course, since I'm getting a deal, the guy's next question was, when will you be picking it up, because I won't be holding it long at that price. . .

So now it's time to:

-Rent a trailer
-Get some dunnage, 4x4 posts
-Buy a pinch bar
-Buy a pallet jack
-Learn whether the tie downs I have are sufficient, possibly buy more

I plan to get drop deck trailer that lowers for easy loading, and have the guy let me install some 4x4 wood blocks under the base, so when he sets it down with his forklift, I can later use the pallet jack to lift it and roll it off the trailer into my garage. I hope.

Trump is flying in to the airport where I work on Tuesday, so the place will be on lockdown. That might be a great day to just skip showing up althogether, and make a road trip. . .

If you rent a drop bed trailer you won't need a pallet jack or much dunnage. I would lower the knee far enough to turn the head upside down then place a 6x6 block on the table and raise it to put a little pressure on the head. Then use a couple tie downs to make sure everything is solid. Using a pinch bar I would raise the base of the machine just enough to slip a few 1" diameter lengths of rod or pipe under it. Then use the bar to advance the machine on the rollers.

When going up or down the slight incline on the ramp I would attach a come along to the front of the trailer and to a lifting strap wrapped around the column of the machine. I use this system to load and unload both my Bridgeport mill and Sheldon Lathe. Attached are a couple pictures of loading and unloading the lathe. I never thought to take any pictures when doing the mill.

I had some help loading the lathe on the trailer, but I was on my own unloading it. I disassembled both machines by myself and carried most of the parts through the house down to the basement shop. The dolly wasn't tough enough to move the 1,000 lb. mill column, or the 800 lb. headstock end of the base of the lathe. I had to hire a local moving company to do those parts. It took 4 guys and a 1,700 lb. capable stair climber dolly 20 minutes to move each of those parts. I reassembled everything myself once the parts were in the shop.

DSC01010.JPGDSC01032.JPGDSC01034.JPGDSC01035.JPG

Great job, way to go. Machines like this are very tippy (top heavy). Whether you flip the head, or not - I don't think it matters very much. Lower the knee and put a block of wood between the knee and the head (raise the knee enough to take some weight off the head). Lock all the slides. Yes, get more tie downs (heavy ones) and tie it at least 3x more than seems reasonable.

And take it slow. Getting in a rush will get someone hurt. Moving these things is a pain for someone who has never done it before.

Use a come-a-long or winch for any slopes, if it gets some speed you won't stop it yourself.

Congrats on the purchase and good luck with the move. It's worth the work.

Congratulations !

If you're interested, here is how I moved a mill just about like your new BP. https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thr...load-on-your-truck-trailer.49747/#post-418695

I took a look, thanks for that link. I can't wait for pickup day, hopefully Tuesday! Hopefully I can get a trailer just like that one you used.

Great job, way to go. Machines like this are very tippy (top heavy). Whether you flip the head, or not - I don't think it matters very much. Lower the knee and put a block of wood between the knee and the head (raise the knee enough to take some weight off the head). Lock all the slides. Yes, get more tie downs (heavy ones) and tie it at least 3x more than seems reasonable.

Thanks! I wll be sure to bring wood for the head and remeber to lock the slides and tighten bolts. I got 4 of the heaviest rated 2 inchers I could find and I already have some other ones, and will get even more probably- they are cheap compared to really needing one or two more!

And take it slow. Getting in a rush will get someone hurt. Moving these things is a pain for someone who has never done it before.

Use a come-a-long or winch for any slopes, if it gets some speed you won't stop it yourself.

Congrats on the purchase and good luck with the move. It's worth the work.

I'm picking up a come along today, I would have yeterday but I used my 25% coupon on the pallet jack I purchased. I will go very slow. I got my 12x36 lathe out of a pickup bed and into this grarage myself, and yes, super slow going and checking 3 times for sanity before attempting any move.

The hardest part for me will be staying slow on the highway, but I will creep along if need be to get home safe!

I drew up a simple pallet for it and will build it tonight and get all the stuff together. If I can get a rental, I plan to get up super early on Tuesday and make the run.

Fellas, I appreciate all your encouragement and advice and I'll keep this updated throughout the move.

Here's a picture from page 1-1 of the Bridgeport Installation, Operation and Maintenance manual. Note the head is upside down and blocked for shipping. This reduces the overall height by at least 2 feet, making it less top heavy and more stable.
1532349737063.png

Note the table is all the way to the rear and the knee is raised sufficiently to support the motor.

Here's a link to the manual:
http://hardingeus.com/usr/pdf/Knee Mills/SeriesIPartList4302Plus.pdf

On pages 1-4 and 1-5 it discusses proper lifting methods and floor mounting

Back