HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Hey Guys!

Did you go into the shop today?

If so, tell us, what did you do?

Did you work on the lathe?
Did you work on the mill?
Make a project for your car, bike or farm?

Pictures ALWAYS appreciated! ;)

Thanks!

Nelson

Nothing fancy today. Joy and I have a family plot (in the Community Garden behind the Library) and I do a bit of volunteer plumbing and equipment maintenance.

One of the wheelbarrows had a seriously wobbly front wheel and an almost flat tire. Tire was OK, but the wheel bearing is nothing more than a plastic sleeve, which fit very loosely on the 5/8" cold rolled steel axle. Axle was rusting, and just starting to chew up the plastic, so I made a quick replacement from 304 stainless, with a close fit and a highly polished bearing area. Reassembled with anti-sieze grease, it works better than new:

At our house, fixing is usually preferable to replacing, and Joy can sometimes take that to extremes, so my next job was to rebuild her little gardening stool with the termite eaten legs. Some long lag screws and a batch of epoxy set things right again.

4_3_11_02.jpg 4_3_11_04.jpg 4_3_11_06.jpg 4_3_11_05.jpg 4_3_11_01.jpg 4_3_11_03.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I started out doing woodworking. I made my first bottle stopper, which necessitated making a mandrel. So, onto the metal lathe, where I turned up a threaded mandrel, and then back onto the wood lathe.

I also started yet another pen kit.

Turned a lump of Hardrivium into a stepper motor adaptor for my Vertex Rotary Table CNC mod.
Not quite finished when SHMBO called for me to cook the Sunday Cheeseburger and Beans. No pictures yet.

Chuck in E. TN

Sorry, the cheeseburger and beans didn't make it, so no pics( they were great, as usual). Might get to take some of the RT project tomorrow, after work.
I'm building a controller setup for my Vertex 4" Rotary Table.

Chuck in E. TN

Not much shop stuff today, went to the lake and rowed out to the sailboat. Pulled the Cast Iron Spinaker off to take and get tuned up.

Man is that water cold! Had to wade out a bit until I could gete into the dingy as the beach is so flat in this part.

Wrestling an outboard into the dingy was fun!

Walter

Didn't do any work today, just had a customer come by this afternoon to pick up a shotgun I had repaired a few days ago. It was an H&R 490 with light firing pin strikes.
Bobby

Last edited by a moderator:
(Hi, Frank!)

Finished mounting my QCTP, thought about grinding a cutter for it. Didn't. Tried the knurling tool, but I couldn't get it right. More research needed.

Put a few coats of finish on a bookcase job for a customer.

Ate pizza.

I just opened up the I.D. of 3 flat washers to fit over my rocker tool post to bring the 5/16" tool up to center, because I do not have a rocker for it. No scrap laying around that was 3/8" to make a rocker for it. It was a little trickey chucking up a flat washer and cutting the I.D. without cutting the chuck jaws. I put a stop on the bed so I would not hit the jaws, worked out great, and no marks on the jaws, came real close though. Tried to turn a piece of round and it was nice and smooth cut. I need to order my quick change tool soon, but for now it works. No need to face cut the washers for the right height, it just was a lucky day I guess, not too many of those come along, but I will take it.
Paul

Back