What job did you do today in your shop?

pjf134 link=topic=1524.msg8877#msg8877 date=1301956127 said:
No need to face cut the washers for the right height

Gotta love it when that happens. Makes you glad you saved all the junk when it just works out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Small tip for such a turning job: Arrange three magnets, one on the face of each jaw, overhanging the inside. Slip your washer in behind the magnets to draw it flush with the front face of the jaws. Snug chuck, remove magnets, and bore away. Just don't chuck down so hard you spring your jaws.

Well had to take the young lad to Trail today for a Cat Scan on his inards. While there I wandered over to the scrap metal recyling place. Better than sitting around a hospital. First time I had ever been there as it is a long drive and I am always working during normal business hours. I manged to find a chunk of steel, 20" wide by 8' long one inch thick that should work to make the brake for my press out of.

I was warned, do not try to drill that piece by the guy there, as it is hardened steel.

I figured that would be great as I wanted hardened steel for the dies anyways.

Walter

IMG_2347.JPG

Last edited:
Youngster, hope so too. He had his gall blader removed at about 16 years old. At the time the spleen was enlarged a bit, it seemed to go down after the surgery, but has now grown larger than before, He is only 18.

The Cat Scan was to see if and why the spleen is enlarged and if there is something in his body that is causing it. Basicly the enlarged spleen is not usually the problem, it is a symptom of another problem, question is what.

As for the steel, you are correct, it is a double edged cutting blade. I have solid carbide drills that will drill through taps and files, so will work on this as well.

This is what I had in mind. Probably a combination between the two, with different length top dies so that boxes that have all fours sides could be bent like thes mast base organizers I have made up for sailboats.

Walter

tooling_03.jpg tooling_02.jpg IMG_2110.JPG

Last edited:
After taking my Daily Driver XJ to the road test centre, I had to change the ball joints in the front axle.
After looking around in my old but allways good to have tool room I found an old ball joint press made for old Volvo´s that I modified a little (cut and weld) and turned a few adapters for pressing out and in the ball joints.
Sorry, no pics.

I have seen all of the modifications everyone has made to their bandsaws so It got me thinking of making a "chip" pan for mine. I have to mount the bracket that I made to hold the Walmart brownie pan. I made it so that it sloped away from where the pan will slide out.

chip pan bandsaw.jpg

Well had to take the young lad to Trail today for a Cat Scan on his inards. While there I wandered over to the scrap metal recyling place. Better than sitting around a hospital. First time I had ever been there as it is a long drive and I am always working during normal business hours. I manged to find a chunk of steel, 20" wide by 8' long one inch thick that should work to make the brake for my press out of.

I was warned, do not try to drill that piece by the guy there, as it is hardened steel.

I figured that would be great as I wanted hardened steel for the dies anyways.

Walter

Looks like a Dozer blade, or a scraper.

Jeff

I didnt get to go to the shop today, as I worked a 13 hr day. Although I did get to see a 100 ton swing press in action at one of my delivery drops! I also had a pickup at a tool and die shop later, conviniently it was lunch time for me so I got to shoot some bull with the CNC guy. This place is about 20 minutes from my house, and I got a standing invite to come back ant time. A real friendly bunch.
If I get back down to the first shop I will shoot some pics of the press. Im waiting for another pickup at yet another machine shop and I will get some pictures of a lathe with 20 foot centers.

Work Stop for a Grizzly 4-inch mill vise

That's what I made in my shop today: a work stop for my Grizzly 4-inch milling vise.

IMG_3747.JPG IMG_3749.JPG

Simple and quick to make, from CR steel. The screw is 8-32 and can be placed so that the head just clears the vise and still engages the vise jaw.

bix

IMG_3747.JPG IMG_3749.JPG

today I started on a socket for the rear wheel nut on a ducati multistrada. hopefully tomorrow i can broach out the square drive hole and do some finishing work.

P4110050_zps66de7e4d.jpg

Roy

P4110050_zps66de7e4d.jpg

P4110050_zps66de7e4d.jpg

Back