What job did you do today in your shop?

Got a chance to try out the newly installed tracks with some snowtime fun:

View attachment 434504

was out bombing around a few local trails when my phone rang. Sure enough, a couple friends of mine had thier quads stuck bad and everyone they called couldn’t even get to them, let alone do a recovery.

30 min ride and I’m looking at two quads down a bank and half buried in snow. 10 mins later, one is back on the trail and ready to go.

The other had a busted lower A arm (and a separated cv joint) and wasn’t going anywhere under its own power. So I hook up to it, we climb into the Argo and I drag it a couple miles back to a spot where they can at least load it on a trailer.

Dragging the busted quad didn’t even slow the argo down.…I probably could have dragged that quad upside down and still not made a difference. The Argo is an unstoppable little (plastic) tank.

It’s only got a little opposed 18hp Kohler twin, but the gearing is so low nothing seems to even slow it down. Flip side of that is it tops out around 12-15 mph. Ya just gotta relax, enjoy the ride and realize that where this thing is taking you, nothing else can follow.

I recover quads so often in this rig, I’m considering a rear mounted winch and a removable A frame lift for the rear. Not sure why my guys can’t dial it back (even just a smidge) on their quads and not wreck them all the time. It often seems one of my friends busts a quad in the back woods once a week…and guess who always geta a phone call…..

One sucky thing though was I got “bull whipped” right across both eyes. I was cruising along and didn’t have my snow googles on. Didn’t see a low thin branch and when it came off the windshield, it was at just the right height to whack me in the eye balls. Took a couple minutes of sitting before I could even open them, let alone move. Now I’ve got a bloody spot and a nice raised welt line across the rh side of my forehead.

After all these years you would think I’d learn my lesson to always wear protective gear, even if its just going across the street.

But nooooo.

I still have to have the occasional stupid moment to remind me; ATGATT (all the gear, all the time).

Funny thing is: all this snow will be gone in about two days. Calling for plus temps and rain starting monday and going until friday…then I’ll probably be pulling quads out of mud holes. Crazy winter this year.
Have you thought about taking a car hood and flipping it over, weld a couple attaching points put the broken ATV on and strap down? It looks like you could mount it to your top???

Love the Argo, looks like fun

They should have tied the rope to the side of the hood when using the excavator.

Last edited:
Mine is an early 306K model. I protect my double needles as they are not common anymore.
Pierre
Yessir. 306 is a nice model. I also have a set of dual needles for my 319W. They sit in a box, never to be used. can't get them anymore. But, my 319 has been modified to use the standard length 15x1 needles so I don't need to use my ultra rare dual needles......

Have you thought about taking a car hood and flipping it over, weld a couple attaching points put the broken ATV on and strap down? It looks like you could mount it to your top???

Love the Argo, looks like fun
Nah, that's just more garbage to haul around. Not my problem if a quad gets more broken if I have to haul it out of the woods for them. They understand the alternative is usually to leave it where it is, in which case it would be pretty stripped after a couple days left in the woods. That's not to say we won't stop and try to readjust if we're doing damage to the disabled quad, just that any damage is all on them....

Last edited:
Growing up we would get to spend time with our grandparents over the holidays. Invariable we would get towed behind vehicles on hoods, sleighs, inner tubes whatever we could find. As a teenager with a drivers license the speeds and concerns for those behind dropped dramatically. I've towed my kids on tubes with horses through the fields. We never had anything fancy with seats but still had fun.

Yessir. 306 is a nice model. I also have a set of dual needles for my 319W. They sit in a box, never to be used. can't get them anymore. But, my 319 has been modified to use the standard length 15x1 needles so I don't need to use my ultra rare dual needles......
Mine has been done as well. Such a simple thing to do, and it opens up the available needles!
Pierre

Mine has been done as well. Such a simple thing to do, and it opens up the available needles!
Pierre
They now sell a bobbin case thats already modified for 15x1’s, although it may not fit a 306 if its an older version.

Singer changed the pin retainer location as the model evolved and newer case won’t work in order machines.

I was thinking about crocheting a doily for my granite surface. Do you boys have any tips for crocheting?

Untitled-collage-31.jpg

Just kidding, biddies. I respect the sewing machine. My dad bought a Juki years ago, and has become quite the expert in upholstery, awnings, and marine canvas. When I was in Kosovo, he sent me an original gearwrench set with my name CNC engraved in them in a heavy vinyl wrench roll that he made for me. 20 years later, it's been my primary wrench set both as a pro and a hobbyist, and the roll is holding up. He started with an electric converted treadle Singer (tough machine by today's standards) and moved up. My wife has a $300 newish chinese Singer that is constructed of gumball machine prizes and brittle plastic, so I'm afraid to touch the thing. You need to program binary sequences on a two-button interface panel to set the stitch, and it runs off of a motor spec'd for a Sony Walkman. They don't make them like they used to.

The sewing machine is a machine tool indeed. Want the feed rate for an 8 gauge needle in 600 denier canvas in a double stitch? I bet that was given in a table somewhere in a past edition of the machinery's handbook.

Had to change out the headlights on the argo (one failed) and it left a big hole on each side:

F5E56D91-D1E7-44E4-9471-0745411A04F5.jpeg

Rather than buy the same light again (they fail because water can get in the housing and corrode the circuit boards), I went for a different one that is white in the center and amber on the sides. They do side marker functions as well as having a flashing function (like snow plow warning lights). They’re too small to cover the holes, so I 3d printed a new housing to hide the hole, hold the new light and space it forward of the body recess enough so the ambers are clearly visible from the sides:

E52E421F-97F5-4E16-8F1F-E9A334E9A35B.jpeg

Not too shabby for a quick kludge up in tinkercad. Still have some post print clean up to do, but they’re pretty close to finished right off the printer. I had to offset the lights to the top of the new housing to clear the brush bar side stay so I added two rows of holes in the lower cover to allow cooling air to circulate around the new light. I probably didn’t need to add the hokes as the light fins make for openings top and bottom, but I didn’t want to leave a big flat panel on the bottom. Adds just a touch of “panache”…;)

They’re just sitting there right now, will mount and wire them tomorrow. The Argo doesn’t make a lot of charging power (have to add a “one wire” alternator), so I replaced all the incandescent bulbs with led.

Also nearly finished making the weather cover:
5BC6986C-9339-4785-B7F6-DFB1BE56B104.jpeg

another hour or two of stitching and it will be ready for the Canadian winter…

Last edited:
Back