What job did you do today in your shop?

Spent time this morning cleaning the grunge off of the lathe bed:

You can see how dirty it is on the right hand side, as there is no shadow in the picture.
You have some interesting stuff on that bench. Looks like an RCA tube transistor, a bunch of nice old cans with spouts, a Black Leather holder for a ??? Simpson meter maybe or something nice.. A hammer head that looks like you use it for a knocker ... I love checking out other shops.. I was in one the other day, he had a bunch of racing motorcycles, old cafe racers, ducati's (limited production race bike), old Indian motorcycles with full skirting and suicide shifter. He had a wood shop, a machine shop with a bunch of CNC bridgeports, A large laser gantry that filled up an entire room. A welding room, a grinding room, a wood turning room. There were so many toolbox stacks, I didn't know which way to turn. His business was high end design and production of THINGS, either construction, art, 100s of pieces for displays, you name it. So there was a lot to see. It was a great day for me even if I couldn't walk, and was in severe pain.. I just had to see more. And he kept showing me more.

You have some interesting stuff on that bench. Looks like an RCA tube transistor, a bunch of nice old cans with spouts, a Black Leather holder for a ??? Simpson meter maybe or something nice.. A hammer head that looks like you use it for a knocker ... I love checking out other shops.. I was in one the other day, he had a bunch of racing motorcycles, old cafe racers, ducati's (limited production race bike), old Indian motorcycles with full skirting and suicide shifter. He had a wood shop, a machine shop with a bunch of CNC bridgeports, A large laser gantry that filled up an entire room. A welding room, a grinding room, a wood turning room. There were so many toolbox stacks, I didn't know which way to turn. His business was high end design and production of THINGS, either construction, art, 100s of pieces for displays, you name it. So there was a lot to see. It was a great day for me even if I couldn't walk, and was in severe pain.. I just had to see more. And he kept showing me more.
I am in the middle of a major shift in the layout of my shop, a tiny 11'x13' space in my basement, trying to make sure I have space for that lathe. And because I was rushed to get it in there, I had to bump aside a few projects: an old radio, the shaper I am putting back together, a wooden carpenters chest, etc. And I had to move my old Craftsman 6 inch to the middle and it is waiting for my friend Brian to come get it. But, yes, a Simpson 260 in the case, along with various oil cans, and other assorted junk. When I start to have space, I will put together a current tour of my little shop and its attendant messes.

Last edited:
^^^ tell us more about your cool press! ^^^
Hi, thanks for your interest. In one of the shots I show that the broach is in a Delrin slot which allows it to find its center and remains static. The acme rod is driven by the ratchet. I clamp it to to the mill and other locations as needed. Although it not there now, I let the broach fall into a 5 gal. bucket below when the broach is completed. It's simple to use and easy to handle along with making life easier. Thanks again.40BFDAC5-11F4-4DDC-ACAD-A6E1DC1504D6.jpegA0094FC3-0206-476B-953B-E8FBE8F12283.jpegA5FAC5F7-D278-47FE-8DCC-A6BEC20303EF.jpeg435B3594-AE56-4288-8282-DDE99AF8C36B.jpegB92B8CD7-FF56-4DEF-95DF-E9656B96656A.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for your interest. In one of the shots I show that the broach is in a slot which allows it to find its center and remains static. The acme rod is driven by the ratchet. I clamp it to to the mill and other locations as needed. Although it not there now, I let the broach fall into a 5 gal. bucket below when the broach is completed. It's simple to use and easy to handle along with making life easier. Thanks again.View attachment 443787View attachment 443794View attachment 443789View attachment 443790View attachment 443792
That's real nice Charles, what kind of bearing did you put in the bottom?

Needed a stand to work on my dual 1249. Threw together a few scraps I had lying around and:

2479AE20-37BC-46DC-937E-6B493DB462FE.jpeg

8F2246F2-92FA-4274-9C3C-693E5817DA13.jpeg

its a little “ugly”, but it was built from scaps to serve a purpose and that wasn't to be “pretty”.

Nothing fancy, but will get the job done.

Last edited:
Fancy or not, I could see that stand being useful for a LOT of projects.

Got my dual 1229Q on the stand and started putting adjustments and lubrication to right. Ended up polishing the outside of the platter from it's stock raw finish:

AD30BC13-55DA-42EB-B06C-6D214881A8D2.jpeg

4AD3EF2D-3F1F-4B3E-AE0E-5C9E59FD57F8.jpeg

IN the process of cleaning, I discovered why the player only had 33 rpm. Turns out there's a pivot the idler runs on (shift where circlip #122 goes) that was seized solid:

1.jpg

It was like someone used locktite blue on it, that's how solid it was. I actually had to use a little heat to break it apart. Once cleaned and lubed, 33, 45 and 78 worked as per. It's only got a tiny bit of movement (somewhere on the order of 1-2mm, tops), but it's obviously an important one!

Cleaning and lubricating continues....

Back