What job did you do today in your shop?

Yep.
200 feet of 5/8" cold rolled solid square stock
20'of 1" angle 3/16.
60' of 2x1x.125 rectangular tubing
20' of 2x2x.125 square tubing
20' of 3"x3/16 flat bar.

526#

I checked three other local sources and online. This is the best deal I could find.

Four years ago this would be less than $300.
6% inflation, I don't think so.
Anybody been to the grocery store lately? 30% or better
Just my experience.
I'm in the process of making some yard art and hit the steel yard yesterday. 2 pieces of 1/2" x 12' round 304 stainless were $47 each!

Measuring, cutting, deburring then wiping the cruddy oil off.
Next step, weld the 5/8 bars every 3"

Attachments

• steel 1.jpg
    steel 1.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 22
  • steel 2.jpg
    steel 2.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 19
  • steel 3.jpg
    steel 3.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0521.jpeg
    IMG_0521.jpeg
    386.5 KB · Views: 11
It’s going to rust. That’s what the customer wants.

Hrmmm. It's steel, not copper. Rust is not a patina, it's corrosion! Maybe offer a rust-resembling paint in reddish brown?

My fortune telling crystal ball shows the gate looking rusty and neglected for 2 years, unrepairable at 5 years, and nonexistant at 10 years.

Wrought-look steel is plenty nice painted. I'd give your customer a cautious warning about "letting it rust".

Nothing fancy. Cleaned and oiled the lathe and cleaned the swarf out of my two favorite chucks. The 8" 4 jaw and the 6" 3 jaw. Next project is to make some delrin sheaves for jib sheet blocks on the boat.

Figured out 1/4" fine threads, left hand and right hand.
This for a part on the Cub Cadet I am working on.
The control rod that gets turned to set the stop on the deck height.
Turned from 1/2 cold rolled to 1/4 inch on one end, left hand thread.
Then the main body gets threaded to 7/16" NC right hand thread.
This was a test/practice piece.
We have to lengthen the main unthreaded part of the rod to accommodate a 3" or so extension of the frame for installation one of the Cat 0 3 point setups we made this winter.

Attachments

• DSCN8385 (2).JPG
    DSCN8385 (2).JPG
    431.7 KB · Views: 7
Hrmmm. It's steel, not copper. Rust is not a patina, it's corrosion! Maybe offer a rust-resembling paint in reddish brown?

My fortune telling crystal ball shows the gate looking rusty and neglected for 2 years, unrepairable at 5 years, and nonexistant at 10 years.

Wrought-look steel is plenty nice painted. I'd give your customer a cautious warning about "letting it rust".
They have a fence that came with the property It's 5/8" square stock that has gone to rust. They like it. Go figure.
I myself would primer and paint with a satin black.

Figured an artistic cap for the post. I like it. I hope they do..

Attachments

• cap 1.jpg
    cap 1.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 17
  • cap 2.jpg
    cap 2.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 17
They have a fence that came with the property It's 5/8" square stock that has gone to rust. They like it. Go figure.
I myself would primer and paint with a satin black.

Figured an artistic cap for the post. I like it. I hope they do..
out of curiousity, how did you get the job? Did you advertise, pass a paper around, or was it just word of mouth?

out of curiousity, how did you get the job? Did you advertise, pass a paper around, or was it just word of mouth?
I started passing out cards and flyers, I was asked if I woukd be interested in building a fence.
This fence is at a dog daycare with lots of clients. You never know, I may get more work.
I’ve learned a bunch already.
I have much more time in than I thought I would.
Drawing up plans, forming a material list, driving out to borrow a trailer, pick up and deliver the stock, return the traile.
Cut over 50 pieces of 5/8 material plus the tube.
The clamping and welding went great but this frame got so heavy I couldn’t move it by myself.
Now I have to learn how to flux core weld. Side project and expense.

Bottom line, I will be better equipped to give a more accurate price quote. I way under bid my time.

It looks great though, so far. The owners are very happy. I dropped off the first section yesterday. Today I level and mount/weld it today.

I started passing out cards and flyers, I was asked if I woukd be interested in building a fence.
This fence is at a dog daycare with lots of clients. You never know, I may get more work.
I’ve learned a bunch already.
I have much more time in than I thought I would.
Drawing up plans, forming a material list, driving out to borrow a trailer, pick up and deliver the stock, return the traile.
Cut over 50 pieces of 5/8 material plus the tube.
The clamping and welding went great but this frame got so heavy I couldn’t move it by myself.
Now I have to learn how to flux core weld. Side project and expense.

Bottom line, I will be better equipped to give a more accurate price quote. I way under bid my time.

It looks great though, so far. The owners are very happy. I dropped off the first section yesterday. Today I level and mount/weld it today.

Are you using FCAW because it's what you have on hand, or are you using it for penetration? It's good in the breeze, but if your welder has a gas system, I'd use gas, even with the flux core rod. Mainly to minimize spatter and clean-up. Flux core is excellent for structural strength, so that's covered.

Back