What job did you do today in your shop?

Since it is mother day, and I have oft been called a mother...... I treated myself to some shop time. Many moons back I bought this tool post grinder used and left for dead. The fella that owned it said that it went through a spell when it would shock him every time he used it and then it quit completely. It is an ID grinder set to run at 12K rippums. I didn't want an ID grinder that shocked me but for $100 I thought it might be worth the excitement. Heaven knows I need a good shock every now and again anyway. Found a wire just inside the case that was loose and the culprit of the previous fellas annxed. Once fixed, I didn't want an ID grinder, I wanted an OD grinder. Sticking the bigger grinding wheels on the shaft and spinning it at 12K is how you can put an eye out. Here is the hack. I reversed the two pulleys. By putting the biggun where the littlun goes and verse visa, now it spins at around 3K I ciphered. Then I made an arbor for a 3/8" ID wheels.
IMG_9851.jpg

The fella threw in a couple of belts, a pulley and a couple of ID wheels but I needed a cover. TheMac wanted $165 for there stamped metal cover. I finally got around to buying a couple pieces of 3.5" 6061 AL and made my own.
IMG_9853.jpgIMG_9852.jpg

Slides over the existing bearing housing just like the fancy one does, but only set me back $25.
IMG_9854.jpgIMG_9855.jpg
I still need to knurl a set screw to keep it on the motor but that shouldn't give me too much of a fight.

IMG_9850.jpg

Last edited:
Saved a $100 by not having to buy a carburetor. My home-made side by side has been running rich and loading up when starting after a short rest. I removed the top of the carb which is from a willie's jeep (the engine is a 1980 Renault Lecar) . Found a brass float that had gas in it. Drilled a small hole to get the gas out and then desoldered the seam. I don't remember them being so thin. I think the last time I did this kind of repair was about 50 years ago. Anyway, after a lot of tedious cleaning and sanding, it was soldered back together successfully and now runs great and no loading up!
Aaron

Toms GC.jpeg

This will seem pretty crude. Some of these posts are hard acts to follow! Nice work guys.
I needed a band saw sharpener and sold my chain saw attachment with the other grinder. So I've built a combo unit from scrap and leftovers around the shop. To be tested soon. And note that I haven't changed the grinding wheel yet for the purpose at hand. The white pipe at left holds an overhead carrier to support the 157 1/2" blades and adjusts for the smaller blades for the 11" bandsaw. The small circle is the outboard support for chainsaw chains. The plate turns around to present the chainsaw tooth on the curve and tilts if needed. I used the gizmo that holds circular blades for sharpening. The little knob at far right is an adjustable stop for the pawl feed. Yes, there are bushings involved. The two pins held in the hole with hairpins are set for width of blade and the two nuts closest adjust friction on the blade. Pretty flexible setup options.
BelsawSharpeningAttachment.JPGBelsawSharpeningAttachment2.JPG
DanK

Last edited:
Didn't do a heck of a lot but I did unwrap the D-675 that came back from the grinder the other day.
I'm happy with the results.
Now I need to clean it up some and get some paint on it & ready for reassembly.
Hoping I can get a new pair of logo stickers from KURT like I did on the last one I acquiredDSCN8517 (2).JPGDSCN8518 (2).JPG.
Also going to ask them about the possibility of a new ser# tag for it if I furnish the original which is almost unreadable and rust jacked away from the body.
Wish me luck on that one!

I pulled this light out of the neighbors trash, but it was missing a mount.

I made the mount yesterday afternoon. I have to clean up my mess now.

Attachments

• IMG_7458.jpeg
    IMG_7458.jpeg
    241.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_7461.jpeg
    IMG_7461.jpeg
    436.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_7460.jpeg
    IMG_7460.jpeg
    537.1 KB · Views: 28
I pulled this light out of the neighbors trash, but it was missing a mount.

I made the mount yesterday afternoon. I have to clean up my mess now.
Nice mount; do you have a sketch?

Back