What job did you do today in your shop?

Some more router junk and a part of the stand. Mt boy made the block for the chain cable to connect to the z axis. gy6u3u7a.jpg

baty5a4y.jpg

gy6u3u7a.jpg

baty5a4y.jpg

gy6u3u7a.jpg

baty5a4y.jpg

Last edited:
Made my first lathe tool from a blake of HSS. it cut like a charm. it is for small convex on brass (that might be why it cut so good brass is soft) some thing like on modle canons. this was a test I also want to make a small grover and a convex for the end of screws. I did a thumbscrew for the seat mount on a friends bike and now three people have asked me to make them one.

Made my first lathe tool from a blake of HSS. it cut like a charm. it is for small convex on brass (that might be why it cut so good brass is soft) some thing like on modle canons. this was a test I also want to make a small grover and a convex for the end of screws. I did a thumbscrew for the seat mount on a friends bike and now three people have asked me to make them one.

My project for the day and the next couple of months as I have time, a gas grill and griddle on a trailer. This is for our Sunday school class! So far a fun project, designing and building as I go. Happy to have my 11 yr old son helping me!

David

church grill 002.jpg church grill.jpg

Today I took a perfectly good 5/16"-24 tap to the grinder and put a relief in it to help me clean out the table gib screw hole. I tapped, oiled, dug around in and finally got that hole cleaned out. I also cleaned the crap out of my bport table, literally. Yuck. I oiled it well to soak for another cleaning tomorrow. I determined how shy the table gib is and shimmed it. Hope tomorrow to put the leadscrew and table ends back in it (more cleaning on table ends too). I'll put the head stuff back on the ram and do some indicating against the table if I'm really lucky.

New probes for my CNC mill

Today I finished one project and started another. Both are probes for my CNC'd Sieg X3 mill.

I finished my Tormach TTS compatible spindle probe for centering table mounted tools on the spindle. This was my first lathe project. I'm very happy with how it turned out. The center is a 3/4" copper plumbing cap, which was my first attempt at boring. I got a tight fit on it.

IMG_20130413_211424.jpg
IMG_20130413_211433.jpg
IMG_20130413_211546.jpg

The second project is my fixed touch probe for use with MachStdMill to touching off tools after a tool change request and to determine the tool length on the fly. I still need to drill two more 1/4" x 20 holes for mounting the plate to the Delrin base. The plate is made out of drill rod, which was a challenge to part. My G4000 would start walking down the ways as I attempted to part the piece. I need to add a carriage lock to keep it from moving. I eventually gave up and parted the piece on my band saw and faced it.

IMG_20130413_211626.jpg
IMG_20130413_211454.jpg

Both probes connect to my Sieg X3 using an interface that I built that handles both my 3D probe (active high) and these two new probes (both active low). I'm using Calypso Ventures' MachStdMill screen set which has some very nice tool management and work probing tools.

IMG_20130413_211703.jpg

-Freeman

IMG_20130413_211424.jpg IMG_20130413_211433.jpg IMG_20130413_211546.jpg IMG_20130413_211703.jpg IMG_20130413_211626.jpg IMG_20130413_211454.jpg

After dinner I went out to the shop to find out why the powerfeed on the Millrite I purchased 2 months ago wasent working. I did some reserch on the world wide web and found that a common problem is the nylon gear in the bottom sheering. After checking that out and finding all is well, I started to dissasemble the mess the owner previous of ar1911 rigged up.prejunk 001.jpgprejunk 002.jpgprejunk 003.jpg
The person who installed the P-F used too many shims on the bevel gear, wich would not let the gears mesh. Easy fix remove shims, and reshim.
The next order of bisness was to mount the readout wheel.mountup.jpgA trip to the lathe and all was well(a little sloppy though:whistle:)
I then reassembled it all with a handle, and viola!!mountup 001.jpgmountup 002.jpg

prejunk 001.jpg prejunk 002.jpg prejunk 003.jpg mountup.jpg mountup 001.jpg mountup 002.jpg

Unfortunately i did nothing in the shop today. My entire shop is in a POD headed from NC to Colorado. The move will be great fulfilling a lifelong dream. Retirement is not good ---- IT IS AWESOME.
Apparently PODS can handle quite a heavy load. Thank goodness.
I moved the machinery as well as plenty of various metals to work with when i get the new shop operational.
It will be great to set it up from scratch. The old shop grew haphazardly.

I started getting the feeder house ready to put back on the combine tomorrow.
I decided to paint some parts that would be hard to get at later but my rattle can went dry.
The job wasn't worth the time to clean up the touch-up gun so I broke out the used Paasche Model H airbush I bought a month ago to save on rattle cans.
I put in the #5 nozzle and tip and decided to try the paint without thinning it.
It sprayed real nice, covered better and didn't run like the thinned out paint in rattle cans.
I really loved the low amount of over-spray so I decided to paint the clutch.
I didn't do a knockout job but it came out pretty good.

FeederHouseClutch.jpg

In the morning the feeder house will go back where it belongs.

Seperater10-3-13a.jpg

This is what it looked like a month ago.

Seperater8-18-13.jpg

FeederHouseClutch.jpg

Seperater10-3-13a.jpg

Seperater8-18-13.jpg

Back