What job did you do today in your shop?

finished welding together a steel flatcar. There will be outriggers on it. The flatcar will host a steel derrick for lifting stuff off barges to railcars or the other way around.

DSC05587.jpg DSC05595.jpg DSC05600.jpg

Actually it was yesterday. An associate I made in Iraq came to visit and I sent him home with my Master Tech tools and tool boxes. Had to get a heavier duty truck because I guess we put on about a ton and a half of tools. He is just starting out in the commercial auto and truck repair world on this side of the planet so he needed a set of tools to be able to go to work with. In Iraq the contract supplied all the tools required to do the job and there was no need for him to buy anything. Now he is back in the US and struggling with the hundreds of dollars every time you have to get on the tool truck and buy a few tools. So I solved that problem for him in one fell swoop. It also gave me nearly 100 square feet of shop space back that I can use to expand my metal working capabilities. I had originally planned to get the push broom and air hoses out and do a major sweep and blow to rid the shop of cobwebs and critters. Found a couple of critter nests up in the rafters and a couple down low that must be squirell because they were stockpiling seeds in various places in the shop. One more item to get moved out of the shop to a new home and reset the location of my plasma table back to the middle of the room again and I am all set to go back to work finally!!! Gotta get the broom busy, but after yesterday I needed a little rest today to be able to get back at it. Ahhh yess, love that feeling of helping out a bud just because ya can!!!!

Bob

Spent the day making a mounting plate for my 3HP hydraulic power unit. Would be nice if they came with a plate, as its always a pain in the but to make one, since the motor housing is round and you have to "stand off" the bolt landings about 3/4".

SE18, Love the beagle :)

Actually it was yesterday. An associate I made in Iraq came to visit and I sent him home with my Master Tech tools and tool boxes. Had to get a heavier duty truck because I guess we put on about a ton and a half of tools. He is just starting out in the commercial auto and truck repair world on this side of the planet so he needed a set of tools to be able to go to work with. In Iraq the contract supplied all the tools required to do the job and there was no need for him to buy anything. Now he is back in the US and struggling with the hundreds of dollars every time you have to get on the tool truck and buy a few tools. So I solved that problem for him in one fell swoop. It also gave me nearly 100 square feet of shop space back that I can use to expand my metal working capabilities. I had originally planned to get the push broom and air hoses out and do a major sweep and blow to rid the shop of cobwebs and critters. Found a couple of critter nests up in the rafters and a couple down low that must be squirell because they were stockpiling seeds in various places in the shop. One more item to get moved out of the shop to a new home and reset the location of my plasma table back to the middle of the room again and I am all set to go back to work finally!!! Gotta get the broom busy, but after yesterday I needed a little rest today to be able to get back at it. Ahhh yess, love that feeling of helping out a bud just because ya can!!!!

Bob

Bob I applaude you for helping a buddy out not to many people do that anymore.

Paul

I'm trying to install a Z axis DRO on my 9x49 Shop Fox mill. Very tedious but actually going better than some of my projects:) May even have pictures next week!

I made one more part for my Maximat 7.

The "gear train holder", the lever which selects feed and direction, is made of pot metal.
My original was snapped.
I applied JB weld to the snapped section, which did hold, but the whole assembly had many hair line cracks in it, so time to make new one.

I used 6061, using my mill to fabricate.
Sand blasted after to blend in mill marks.

Had to make new knob as well.

Came out pretty good.

DanIMGP1448.JPG

IMGP1448.JPG

Today was one of those days were I couldn't finish what I wanted to...

A walk-in customer dropped by through a referral and needed some custom sized border rings for the new gauges on his boat's dashboard. There were quite a few in different sizes and they were all made with appropriate proportioned border width depending on the diameter of the gauge. He was pretty happy that I knocked them out right on the spot.

Here's one of them:

Border Ring.JPG

Also, the mill vise started to act up and wouldn't turn easily. There was some swarf in the threads. I tried rinsing it out in the parts cleaning tank but no luck so it had to come apart. Sure enough, something got caught in there. These threads are not exposed and well covered so I'm surprised something managed to make it's way in there. Anyhow, it's all done but I have to admit, taking the vise apart was a little bit of a puzzle that had me scratching my head for 10 minutes...

Leadscrew.JPG

Ray

Border Ring.JPG Leadscrew.JPG

Bob

You are a good friend Bob- and good for you or see a good thing to do for someone else and find a way to make it good for you too... Room to work is as important as any tool. (I say with my crammed up shop ha hah)

Bernie

way to go!

Bob

Well I got back home yesterday from threeweeks of work in East moline, IL. So I got on cleening up the mill I got the day before I left. I pulled the table off the X Y and pulled them apart. I have them all cleaned and waiting on me to clean the base and head. the mill dose not look abused just neglected. I mean it looks as though it was never cleaned. He had a fixture plate on the table, so he never used the t slots other than to hold the plate on. this also means he never cleaned them.
attachment.php?attachmentid=62207&d=1381722385&thumb=1.jpgattachment.php?attachmentid=62208&d=1381722422&thumb=1.jpgattachment.php?attachmentid=62209&d=1381722457&thumb=1.jpgattachment.php?attachmentid=62210&d=1381722501&thumb=1.jpgattachment.php?attachmentid=62211&d=1381722542&thumb=1.jpgattachment.php?attachmentid=62216&d=1381722574&thumb=1.jpgattachment.php?attachmentid=62217&d=1381722614&thumb=1.jpg
If you lookat the screw close you can see a line of small burrs it looks like it got dragged, i will hit that with a little emery.
keep your hands out of the spinning things

attachment.php?attachmentid=62207&d=1381722385&thumb=1.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=62208&d=1381722422&thumb=1.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=62209&d=1381722457&thumb=1.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=62210&d=1381722501&thumb=1.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=62211&d=1381722542&thumb=1.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=62216&d=1381722574&thumb=1.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=62217&d=1381722614&thumb=1.jpg

Back