What job did you do today in your shop?

I always salvage the balls from old bearings. With 25 microinch typical spherocity, they are arguably the most precise objects that we have access to. My collection ranges from 3/32" to 1" diameters.
OK, I had let these rust, pity, I'll store in the shop from now

well there was a few knobs missing on the lathe
so, having a never-ending supply of old roller races I annealed some, put em in the lathe, drilled em for 8mm thread size, lick o red paint, have to wait for some 11/16 balls from races bought home by sons, from SULZER where they are both electrical fitters
Stuart, you got some set of balls there.
Good use of them. Maybe a little small, but hey, not bad.

A few days ago, there was strong evidence of a mouse intrusion in our kitchen. Occasionally, mice will find their way into the basement and I set traps for them which solves the problem for a while. But we have a nosy canine with an appetite for cheese living with us so we have been reluctant to set any traps in the living area.

I decided to make an enclosure for the trap which would prevent our dog for putting his nose where it should be. The enclosure is made from some scrap white pine fastened with 1-5/8" construction screws. I made the enclosure just large enough to hold the classic Victor mouse trap but so it could slide under the toe kick of the cabinets. There is an 1/8" deep pocket on the bottom plate to prevent the trap from sliding out and an acrylic top so the the contents can easily be viewed. While I could have cut the pocket with a chisel or with my router, it was easier to use the mill/drill with a 3/4" carbide router bit. I also cut a groove at the entrance to facilitate removal of the trap without endangering my fingers.

Yeah, I know the acrylic is cracked but it's just a mouse restaurant, OK?
View attachment 392350
Post not complete without a picture of the canine ;)

John

had some rollers too 21/2 x 4 polished but 025 wear in some places , like 60000 dollar bearings, they turn with carbide but will not drill

went to anneal some more but run outta propane, very wary heating em inside a concrete block, don't wanna catch flying concrete, wish I had a furnace

Got a chance to work on a pair of rock shaft hangers for a customer today.
He needs a pair of them They hold the rock shaft on then rear hitch plate of a Cub Cadet super.
He's got everything else but missing these, Ther are NLA at Cub Cadet.
Bushing gets welded to the angle and gets a zerk as well
Still need to trim the corners and drill the 3/8" mounting holes.
Short rod is to align the holes for welding.
Material is 3/8" x 4" HRS.

Attachments

• DSCN9322.JPG
    DSCN9322.JPG
    388.4 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCN9323.JPG
    DSCN9323.JPG
    389.3 KB · Views: 11
no much, got a test sample ex China 8mm thick 5083 plate, bent it sawed it, seems ok
bought an Adcock & Shipley mill and a cold cut off saw that does bevels both 1500,
Alu plate 13000 tonne here 4700 US Tonne ex china, but there is zero stock here plates 8mx2m ie 26 ft x 6 ft 6 inches for a boat build 46 ft long

Attachments

• 5083 bend.jpeg
    5083 bend.jpeg
    101 KB · Views: 17
  • mill.jpg
    mill.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot (190).png
    Screenshot (190).png
    183.5 KB · Views: 17
Got a chance to work on a pair of rock shaft hangers for a customer today.
He needs a pair of them They hold the rock shaft on then rear hitch plate of a Cub Cadet super.
He's got everything else but missing these, Ther are NLA at Cub Cadet.
Bushing gets welded to the angle and gets a zerk as well
Still need to trim the corners and drill the 3/8" mounting holes.
Short rod is to align the holes for welding.
Material is 3/8" x 4" HRS.
tidy

Back