What kind of Atlas Lathe is this?

Matthew,

I don't know. I didn't pay much attention to the colors, in part maybe because of the coating of red dust over much of it. But looking at it again and remembering photos of other machines of similar vintage, I think the thing was repainted at least once in its lifetime. Look at the right edge of the nameplate. At the factory, the bed would have been painted before the nameplate was attached. And there is light gray paint on the plate. AFAIK, based on "before" photos of a lot of machines, the original color before about 1958 would have been dark machinery gray. The light machinery gray seems to turn up on the 12" so-called Commercial machines, like mine from 1980. But your belt cover is lighter than mine.

Robert D.

Thank you Robert.

Can you tell me why the QCGB is a different color? It is black while the rest of the lathe is a light grey.

Matthew

Thanks Robert. I am sure once i clean it i will see more evidence to that.

Matthew

- - - Updated - - -

Did some digging around last night.

I located a four jaw chuck, follower rest and steady rest last night along with an assortment of tooling. Cool. Also 4 Automotive AC pumps, one hydrolic piston, alot of raw material and a big four barrel carb.....

The cabinet is really cool. Wood with a steel frame. The wheels have cam up/down features to set the bench down or move it around. The owner was a welder and car guy. In fact there is a really cool TIG welder that needs a new home. Big with tanks and all that. Set up for aluminum and steel. No room for me......

Matthew

So the reality of the matter is that i will not keep the lathe.

I am now trying to figure out what a fair price is for these. Any input would be appreciated.

If anyone in Southern California is interested contact me. Located in Orange County.

Matthew

The Atlas now has a new home. I was not able to use anything from it for my Logan 9" like i had hoped but that is OK. It has moved on to a good home.

Back