What kind of chuck is this?

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
This came with my mill. I didn't think much about it until I was watching Tom Lipton make a V-block and use what looks like the same type of chuck.

What's interesting is that the mechanism inside looks nothing like a Jacobs chuck.
The jaws that grip the tool are actuated by sliding along machined ways inside the body. I'm sorry I don't have a photo showing the jaws.
It looks like an Albrecht but I don't see any markings.
This is mine
drill chuck.jpg

This is Tom's
Screen Shot 2020-02-18 at 1.01.52 PM.png

Last edited:
My PM mt3 mount looks like the bottom picture. It is labeled Precision Matthews though

My guess is that yours is an import chuck. Lipton's is definitely an Albrecht.

It's a keyless chuck, an import. As the name implies don't need a key to tighten/loosen it. Keyless chucks are self tightening. The drilling force will make them tighten the grip when drilling. Depending on the quality of the chuck & how much wear it has it may self loosen if used in reverse. Because they are self tightening it's not recommened to use drills larger than their capacity. So if it's a 1/2" capacity don't use drills larger than 1/2" with reduced shanks like S&D drills. Otherwise they can over tighten & you won't be able to loosen it by hand. That's what those holes are for, a pin spanner wrench, to loosen it in case it does happen. The pin wrench should never be used for tightening keyless chucks. Looks like that did happen & a prev owner used pliers to get it loose.

It's keyless chuck, an import. As the name implies don't need a key to tighten/loosen it. Keyless chucks are self tightening. The drilling force will make them tighten the grip when drilling. Depending on the quality of the chuck & how much wear it has it may self loosen if used in reverse. Because they are self tightening it's not recommened to use drills larger than their capacity. So if it's a 1/2" capacity don't use drills larger than 1/2" with reduced shanks like S&D drills. Otherwise they can over tighten & you won't be able to loosen it by hand. That's what those holes are for, a pin spanner wrench, to loosen it in case it does happen. The pin wrench should never be used for tightening keyless chucks. Looks like that did happen & a prev owner used pliers to get it loose.
"I used Channelocks when I couldn't open it"

Sorry if I stated the obvious. Wasn't sure if "what kind of chuck is this?" meant what type or what brand. :)

Sorry if I stated the obvious. Wasn't sure if "what kind of chuck is this?" meant what type or what brand. :)
Both actually. I did for a moment think that I'd stumbled into an Albrecht but alas my luck is not that good.

Both actually. I did for a moment think that I'd stumbled into an Albrecht but alas my luck is not that good.

Ah don't feel so bad, my luck is not that good either. I didn't have an Albrecht for many years, up until just last month. If it weren't for @mikey & @mmcmdl for worrying about my well being cause I was Albrecht-less I'd still probably wouldn't have one. I'm very thankful to have awesome friends like that!:big grin:

Back