What kind of chuck is this?

Ah don't feel so bad, my luck is not that good either. I didn't have an Albrecht for many years, up until just last month. If it weren't for @mikey & @mmcmdl for worrying about my well being cause I was Albrecht-less I'd still probably wouldn't have one. I'm very thankful to have awesome friends like that!:big grin:

I've had a couple Albrecht's' and a couple keyless Cushman's for several years. They're probably the least used chucks in the shop. I seem to gravitate to the older Jacobs N14's and N18's as well as the Golden Goose ones of the same sizes. For some reason keyless chucks don't appeal to me. They do get used from time to time, but they've never been the ones to "go to".

I will say that this chuck is long.
Long enough that I could foresee having to raise the head to use it after a milling op.
I think that a set of ER collets is the way to go for me.
That way I can hold end mills and drills as need be.

I have also seen short drill bits which would be shorter than regular bits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe you won't need to raise the head. Your mill should have a 5" quill stroke and that is a pretty respectable amount of travel. Because of the diameter of said quill, it is stout enough to handle most milling forces so you have room for a drill or collet chuck and the tools they hold.

I chose to use the Tormach TTS system. One modified 3/4" R8 collet can hold drill chucks, collet chucks, fly cutters, end mill holders, face mills and other tools. These tool holders all have a 3/4" straight shank so you can drill a hole, swap the drill chuck for a collet chuck and start milling in about 15 seconds.

Those shorter drills are called screw machine drills, by the way.

I was looking at the Tormach system earlier and thought that it held some real advantages for easy tool changes and repeatability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It ain't all roses, Dave. Using it sort of commits you to using Tormach tools. While they are decent, they are not the finest; they are made in China after all. My Tormach ER32 chuck is pretty accurate; I cannot remember the run out numbers right now but I do know that my ETM ER40 chuck is even more accurate. So, speed is the advantage, plus the fact that the Tormach tools are pretty cheaply priced. You can buy an ER32 chuck for under $40.00! I'm not recommending you opt for the TTS system but, for me, it works pretty okay.

I've had a couple Albrecht's' and a couple keyless Cushman's for several years. They're probably the least used chucks in the shop. I seem to gravitate to the older Jacobs N14's and N18's as well as the Golden Goose ones of the same sizes. For some reason keyless chucks don't appeal to me. They do get used from time to time, but they've never been the ones to "go to".

I'm the opposite. I prefer using keyless chucks, so much quicker to use for me. I use a Bison keyless on the lathe & a Glacern keyless on the mill. I do have multiple 14Ns for use with the lathe & mill & I do love them but I only use them for power tapping or when I need to use S&D drills. If one is already in the machine from a prev op I'll just use it, not like I will bother swapping out to a keyless just because.

I also have an 18N sitting in a drawer. Not sure what to do use it with though, never really had a need for it, but I can't push myself to sell it. However on my drill press I prefer to use a keyed chuck, not sure why though, maybe it's just a matter of being used to it.

I tend to use the keyless in the mill and the Jacobs in the lathe . Not sure why other than habit possibly . Drill presses I use Wahlstrum chucks most of the time , no need to stop the spindle .

I'm the opposite. I prefer using keyless chucks, so much quicker to use for me. I use a Bison keyless on the lathe & a Glacern keyless on the mill. I do have multiple 14Ns for use with the lathe & mill & I do love them but I only use them for power tapping or when I need to use S&D drills. If one is already in the machine from a prev op I'll just use it, not like I will bother swapping out to a keyless just because.

I also have an 18N sitting in a drawer. Not sure what to do use it with though, never really had a need for it, but I can't push myself to sell it. However on my drill press I prefer to use a keyed chuck, not sure why though, maybe it's just a matter of being used to it.
* SHOVE * :grin:

I tend to use the keyless in the mill and the Jacobs in the lathe . Not sure why other than habit possibly . Drill presses I use Wahlstrum chucks most of the time , no need to stop the spindle .

Same for me. Straight shank Albrecht keyless in the mill, MT2 Jacobs keyed on the lathe. Whatever Chinese MT2 keyed chuck in the drill press. Because that's how they came to me.

Back