What Kind Of Oil In Burke #4 Original Motor?

Glenn Brooks

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
image.jpeg

Iam just finishing up my rehab of my Burke #4 mill.

I have the original motor, with attached gear reduction case on the machine. Pic above is the motor, before painting...

Is there a special weight oil, or type of oil, that goes in the case?

Also, what is the correct amount of'oil to run in the motor?

I seem to remember an old discussion somewhere else about only filling the case half full - but that might have been for a Van Norman mill.

Thanks for any info you can offer.

Regards
Glenn

Based on my research its SHC 634, but I'm no expert. It can be had at amazon or McMaster Carr.

Have you wired that motor up yet? I'm trying to find out if its reversible, I think its a four lead single phase induction repulsion, and can be wired to a Furnas drum switch?

Yep, it is wired to a drum switch and appears to run in both directions.

Just googled SHC 634 - apparently it is a Mobil high performance gear lube - priced between $18/qt at Walmart, to around $24/qt online. Good to know...

Also, does one fill up the case, fill half way?? how much do you use in the case? Still trying to determine if there is a critical fill level to worry about.

Thanks
Glenn

Thanks for the links NavyGuy- quite helpful. The second link has some interesting lube info on page 10-13. Chiefly, modern synthetic oils have an oil change period of 1500 hours at room temperature operation conditions. A lifetime of use for most hobbyists. Also, very interesting, the manual showed an oil level plug on all the current model gear boxes. Stated the gear lube should fill to the bottom of the inside thread. All the oil level plug locations are over 1/2 way down the case. Which makes sense with a splash oiling system.

I will be looking for such a threaded plug on my motor. But, who knows, these motors were produced in a much earlier age.

Back