What kind of screwdriver do I need?

cazclocker

Purveyor of cheese.
Registered
I need to replace an old jeweler's slotted screwdriver because I managed to put a twist in it. I use it to adjust one of the bearings on my little watchmaker's lathe. The blade was a simple hollow-ground slotted style, about 1/8" or 5/32" wide.
I'd like to replace it with one that fits the whole width of the adjusting screw which is 1/4", near as I can tell. And I'd like to keep the hollow-ground construction because the screw slot depth is fairly deep, maybe 3/32" deep but the slot thickness is narrow, maybe .020" - .030" thick.
I was looking around gunsmithing screwdrivers, which I know nothing about.
Can anyone suggest a specific type of screwdriver that would fit my needs? The hollow-ground build of the one I twisted helps with getting the blade into the full depth of the adjusting screw.
You can *just* see the head of the screw I'm talking about, see the blue arrow.
IMG_8613_edited.JPG

Any well stocked hardware store should have a variety of screwdrivers
Sears used to have a good selection
Yeah I'm old enough to remember when Sears was worth the trip for tool buying. Now all they carry is crap made out of Chineseium, like everybody else. I should be going near my local Ace hardware later today, I'll take a look there, but I like the idea of Wiha tools.

If the blade twists, the temper is too soft. Manufacturers will do that to reduce liability exposure. I have rehardened and tempered Chinese tools and had them function properly. A simple spark test will tell you if there is enough carbon in the steel to get a proper temper..

+1 on Wiha. I've had their 26997 (prolly changed item number by now) for 20 years. still like new, despite weekly hard use.

Another to check out is Wera.

I hope I don't offend too much, but I've used several of the US made "top brand" screwdrivers, and all are inferior. Vintage Craftsman from the days of 'lifetime guarantee' are really top notch. The Craftsman set had a size in the set you could use.

Be aware that the driver, if properly fitting, the driver will 'grab' the slot. If the screw can fall off, either it or the driver is the wrong size. If it sticks, you won't distort the slot and the screw head.

+1 on Wiha. I've had their 26997 (prolly changed item number by now) for 20 years. still like new, despite weekly hard use.

Another to check out is Wera.

I hope I don't offend too much, but I've used several of the US made "top brand" screwdrivers, and all are inferior. Vintage Craftsman from the days of 'lifetime guarantee' are really top notch. The Craftsman set had a size in the set you could use.

Be aware that the driver, if properly fitting, the driver will 'grab' the slot. If the screw can fall off, either it or the driver is the wrong size. If it sticks, you won't distort the slot and the screw head.
Wera or Wiha, thanks for reminding me of those makers. Thanks guys, that should get me going. Much appreciated.

I was checking Amazon, it seems that Wiha is out sourcing??? a screwdriver set is made in China, and a water pump plier is made in Vietnam, but the company is German with a Wiha USA office?

Back