What kind of screwdriver do I need?

I also have the Brownells set, All the different blade sizes cones in real handy.

The other name in gunsmithing screwdrivers that I couldn't remember yesterday is Grace.
My local tool place had a bunch of kits.
I think I only bought one Philips tip size, but it is excellent.....I should look again.

Brian

I bought one of the Chapman gunsmithing sets about 30 years ago and use all the time, never broke or twisted any of the bits.
I have a large Chapman set in at work . Indespensable (sp) for one certain job . :)

The other name in gunsmithing screwdrivers that I couldn't remember yesterday is Grace.
My local tool place had a bunch of kits.
I think I only bought one Philips tip size, but it is excellent.....I should look again.

Brian
Have a set of Grace screwdrivers and can vouch for the quality. Only screwdriver I will let close to my pre-lock SW's
Also have a set of Brownells that came with a grind your own kit to customize, the Grace set is so good I've never had to use them.

I also have a Chapman gunsmithing set from a quarter century ago or better. If the tools you use the most are your favorites, the ratchet/handle gets used constantly with all sorts of other bits, for really tight clearance just a bit an the ratchet (with a finger or lever to hold it down)

WFMC is much like a high-end Chapman set (I have and use both). Prices are all over the map if you shop around, but I got mine from Techni-Tool for less than half of the MSRP on the WFMC site. https://wfmc.shop/ Things change, but my set was made in the US. I can't tell from the site if they're still made here or not.

GsT

I guess I'm old-fashioned, but... don't buy a good screwdriver for a particular screw, sharpen one for that size.
Take an old worn screwdriver (carbon steel, no chrome plate), heat the tip and hammer it to wedge shape.
Hammer it cold, too (to harden it a little).
Grind the sides to get it to the right width, then the flats to get it to fit the slot, and touch up the tip for
squareness. Final step: hammer the tip to raise a slight burr; that'll keep it from slipping out of the
slot.
Rarely, screwdriver tips are good fits for heads (Frearson is the best), but for a slotted screw,
the old cabinetmakers had the right idea: build your screwdriver to a good fit for the screws you use.

Back