What kind of steel do I need for making solid collets?

kaygee1029

Registered
Registered
I just got a Gorton mill 0-16. Well built and getting vfd. It has gorton taper and got collets for it but max size is 1/2" I want to make solid collets that will allow me to put a boring head that threads on and maybe a 3/4" hole for flycutter or larger endmills. What kind of steel should I use and any other tips are welcome. KURT

It's a shame Gorton couldn't put a larger capacity in that 2,000 lb. mill.

Still the finest mill I've ever ran!

Wow talk about weird. I just came on the forum to ask the same question, want to make a collet to hold some parts for machining

It's just a piece the same size as collet but does't calapse when tightened.

It's just a piece the same size as collet but does't calapse when tightened.

I thought collets flexed by definition, but maybe not. I was thinking maybe OP wants to make an arbor for a boring head and some set screw type tool holders to fit his machines spindle taper, not collets per se. How far off am I, Kurt?

Hi and welcome Kurt, depending on times of use, ie, if not production, I think 1144 would be a great choice. The 41** series in pre-heat treated (prehard) is another…Dave

Dave, I haven’t worked with pre-heat treated steel. How easy or difficult is it to machine something like 4140 on a bench lathe or bench mill and get a good finish? Would HSS tooling do the job?

Tom

Dave, I haven’t worked with pre-heat treated steel. How easy or difficult is it to machine something like 4140 on a bench lathe or bench mill and get a good finish? Would HSS tooling do the job?

Tom

Tom, I use HSS maybe 98% of the time. I use carbide on cast iron and really hard stuff. I grind my own tool bits. 4140 is machinable using HSS. 1144 is even easier. And 12L14 is like butter on the lathe. I even have a few diamond tool bits. Tried them on copper, didn’t come out like I hoped. My lathe has too much vibration and the harmonics telegraphed into the copper finish...Dave

Back