What kind of welder to get?

Yup. I was going to suggest a small inverter machine but the OP already bought the buzz box so it is what it is. Of course cost may have been a factor as well. $800 is quite a jump from what he paid. Originally when I was looking into which welder to buy my sights were set on a transformer type welder. TIG/stick machine. It was going to require a 60A 240V circuit and when I realized an inverter type would require soooo much less in the way of electrical infrastructure $$$ to do properly.
The final nail was the pathetic duty cycle on all but the largest transformers. Most are only 20-40% duty at rated amperage.
My Miller 150STL is 100% duty cycle at 100A output using only a 20 amp circuit.

It's been long enough, so how is your welding going? I've got the little 120V Hobart. Would really like to try TIG on Aluminum but can't justify it. When I retired I bought a metal lathe and used jet milling machine. All the accessories cost about as much as the machines. I've got a corner of my manufacturing building so plenty of power (800A 3 phase.)

The wiring is still exposed and I will be upgrading my wiring/breaker prior to paneling the shed. Will call and ask the city electrical inspector what wiring do I need for a 50 amp breaker and then hire a electrician.

Inspector said #6 wire and 55 amp.

Last edited:
I just bought a Miller 210 mig and DC stick, I have to say its a real sweet hart to weld with. It is a inverted model so it can run run on 110 or 220. Super smooth to use. If your thinking you need a. Mig/tig you can go with the Miller 215. FYI the 215 is DC tig so you can only weld carbon. There is a new machine out, I think it was the model 230 that does mig, AC/DC tig and DC stick. But hold on to you wallet its $3000

Larry I've done a lot of Mig aluminum welding and it works very well. I have a Tig, but use it mainly on steel. -- go figure!!

Larry I've done a lot of Mig aluminum welding and it works very well. I have a Tig, but use it mainly on steel. -- go figure!!
Lots of aluminum parts on sno-cat trail grooming accessories. Most of our repairs were done with a Miller 210 MIG and a spool gun.

I happen to have a very short torch length so I run aluminum[edit] right in the welder itself. Only cobbled twice in 2 large spools of wire....

Back