What lathe attachment do I need?

Just a snug fit. I left a shoulder on the plug to pull it out..
Thanks. I'll try that, too. I have a piece of scrap 2 3/4" cold rolled that I've already started milling for a lathe spider. Seems like a pretty simple exercise, so I'll finish it. I also have some scrap Delrin that I could use to make plugs. I'll probably make some for the common smaller sizes (3/8" - 3/4"). Thanks for the tip.

Regards,
Terry

The quick and dirty is to just wrap some cardboard and tape around the stock to keep it from battering around in the spindle

I did the same as kd4gij, but I turned mine out of wood, usually a 2 X 4, to size. I've only needed a couple of sizes. I regularly turn 1.375" steel , 4' long suing these wooden plugs.

I can turn 3/4 " stock uip to 3' long using a wooden plug as well...

Make short spindle liners, use a piece of material (I mostly use plastic) and turn it slightly smaller then the spindle bore then bore it slightly larger then the stock and 1 1/2" long or so, drill and tap a hole through the wall. Place on stock and gently snug a set screw onto the stock.

If the wall thickness will not allow a tapped hole use a cats head setup.

This allows you to move the stock through the spindle if making multiple parts in one setup. This beats screwing around with a cats head and screws for every part.

Like so

Perhaps my inexperience speaking, but couldn't you just use your steady rest to work further down the bed so you have less material extending through the headstock? I thought that is what the steady rest was for?

Aaron, it just takes much more time to set up your steady rest than gripping in your 3-jaw and going for it. all your are doing is reducing the 'whipping effect by using a plug. I think I've needed 3 or 4 plugs in 38 years, and they each took about 5 minutes to make.

Perhaps my inexperience speaking, but couldn't you just use your steady rest to work further down the bed so you have less material extending through the headstock? I thought that is what the steady rest was for?

Setting up a steady would be silly if all one needs to do is stabilize material that fits through the spindle bore, if the work will not pass through the spindle a steady is the only option.

As an example this part would not fit through the spindle so I had to use a steady to turn the section that was welded for repair. I also made a center plug for the bore in the end and used a live center in tail stock.

It turned out reasonably well considering the amount of weld that they put on it.
3.147" is 79.93 MM for an 80 MM bearing fit. The material is 304/316 stainless, the Customer was not sure.

Sounds like there's definitely more than one way to skin this cat. Thanks for all the answers and great ideas.

Regards,
Terry

Back