What lathe attachment do I need?

tjb

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have a 13 x 40 lathe that will hold stock up to 1 1/2" in diameter. I need to face a piece of 3/4" stock and a piece of 1" stock, both of which are 2+ feet long. When I put either of them in the machine, the excessive length sticking out the back wobbles significantly. Is there an attachment I can use to lock down the stock and eliminate the wobble?

Thanks for any advice.

Best regards,
Terry

People will make an atachment for the rear of the lathe that hopefully can fit over the rear of the spindle with 4 screws around the circumference that are adjustable to center the sticking out portion of the work stock I believe it is called a spider.

People will make an atachment for the rear of the lathe that hopefully can fit over the rear of the spindle with 4 screws around the circumference that are adjustable to center the sticking out portion of the work stock I believe it is called a spider.
Thanks, Ed.

I'll do a search on that.

Regards,
Terry

For one or two pieces, I would just use three or four tapered wooden shims to center and stabilize the back end of the stock.

Thanks, RJ.

That's a good quick-and-dirty tip to know. I'm actually right now watching a youtube video on a guy making a spider. Seems like it might be a good learning experience to make one. I'll keep you posted.

Regards,
Terry

making a spider
Thanks, Ed.

That's actually the video I just watched! Seems pretty straightforward.

Headed back to the shop to try and butcher a little bit of scrap metal.

Regards,
Terry

Sounds like the stock is bent. I would straighten it then run it.

I made plugs from Delrin with different size wholes for my lathe.
Now that's a good idea. Do they simply press in or did you make a retainer of some sort?

Regards,
Terry

Back