What lathe to buy?

Keep looking one will pop up soon, I bought a South Bend Heavy 10 last year for 600 USD (483 EUR). You have to save a bunch of searches and keep checking them.

Hi welcome to the forum. I think it would help us if you gave us some idea what you plan to make with the lathe, and what materials you plan on using.

David

I see you are outside the USA. We are fortunate here in the states, HUGE amount of lathes were build to manufacture steel parts during and after world war two. They sell inexpensively and are better, even after 75 years, than new Asian machines. Even here, they are hard for a new guy to find. You just do not have this option.

Look for the better quality lathes, do not buy the cheapest one you can find. Even so, these lathes are considered a work in progress. Plan on re-fitting and upgrading after initial purchase.

I suggest you pick two choices out, tell us what you want to do, and then ask the group which is the better buy.

i need basic stuff, not very complicated pieces, but definetly i will need to be able to make diferent treads(with different pitches) .The majority will be iron work, maybe some brass or aluminium.

well yes it's to way to expensive. Do you think those chinese lathe are really that bad ? I mean at least for basic threading and machining ?

Last edited:
Many people use them and make nice parts.
My comment is in reference to Chinese lathes, not necessarily the one you posted.

Back