What lube/oil to use in KO Lee B943 Work Head?

jbaccell

Registered
Registered
Hi All,

The title says it all, trying to figure out what the proper lube is for the KO Lee B943 powered work head? Everything I have read makes no mention of it.

Any guidance, comments, opinions etc. are most certainly appreciated.

Thank you.

Joe

It might depend on what parts of the workhead you are refering to.

It might depend on what parts of the workhead you are refering to.
Thanks, I am inquiring about the worm gear, There is a screw that appears to be where you would add the appropriate lubricant.

Thanks again,

Joe

If it is a bronze worm gear, do not use an EP rated gear oil, it can cause the gear to wear unduly.

If it is a bronze worm gear, do not use an EP rated gear oil, it can cause the gear to wear unduly.
Thanks, that's one of the concerns and the reason I'm looking for advise on what is supposed to be used. I can't find any literature from KO Lee that addresses my question.

I agree with benmychree. If it's got bronze components make sure to use a gear oil that is "yellow metal safe". IIRC, I got a bottle from Amazon.

Oddly enough, my rotary table takes a lighter weight spindle oil, so not all gearboxes get heavier oils.

Bottom line, any oil is better than no oil. If you can't find a definite answer it might be best to go with a medium weight oil and see how it works.

Ted

Ted, I thank you for your guidance and advice, much appreciated. I a bit perplexed why none of KO Lee’s literature mentions anything about checking or adding the appropriate oil. Surely there is some kind of lubricant in that housing.

Thanks again,

Joe

You can search some other brand units i.e. Cincinnati, Norton, etc. and see if you can find what they recommend... I doubt that it would be too far off from what yours should take.

Good luck,
Ted

Back