What machine business have you operated?

Interestingly enough, most of the shops I have seen are small operations which leads me to believe that they either all making excellent use of the minimal square footage of their buildings, or they are not getting enough work to expand.

Or they don't want to expand. ;) Which is my case.

I got into machining as a direct result of model aviation. There was a motor mount I designed that converted a particular model heli from gasoline powered to electric. None of the local machine shops could have manufactured it for me so I started researching how to do it myself. I decided to take the plunge and got a Taig CNC mill. It took me a few months to get up to speed on everything but eventually got my mount made.

That first part started my little side business about 7 years ago. I made quite a bit of those mounts for guys all over the world. Then a buddy of mine who also flies models threw me a job that other shops turned down, a motor coupler for an operating theater bed. Slowly by word of mouth I was getting request to make parts for all kinds of stuff.

I do pick and choose the jobs I take, I tend to turn down the more boring stuff and focus more on those that give me a challenge.

Chevy

That's really neat! Have you ever made rotor heads for them?

I did a little bit of research a while back into the market viability of model hobbies. From what I saw, it does seem to indicate that success is higher if a specific niche is chosen because the big players have price points that are practically impossible to compete with. Web sides such as HobbyKing have probably forced many hobby themed businesses out of the scene. Actually, I heard that TowerHobbies declared bankruptcy this year and sold to another company :(.

So, I guess trying to be everything to everyone is not a good idea.

I retired from the Natural Gas Compressor industry in ought ought, spent almost 15 yeas wishing I had something to do. My eldest son built up a business in model flying (rubber band powered) and bought a propeller manufactury. Siince he was gainfully employed I got the job of making things for him. It started out making propellers and necessary hardware, prop shafts, bushings, thrust bearings, (5/16 diameter, three steel balls .080, one .040 disc of aluminum with 4 holes in it and two steel flat washers.) and a couple other items, hinges for the folding props, etc. Since then we've taken on making 10 to 0ne winders, 8 and 30 ounce-inch torque meters and balsa slitters. With the machinery I have, I've started contracting for small machine parts, not enough yet to eat better, but I'm busy doing what I enjoy.

That's really neat! Have you ever made rotor heads for them?

I did a little bit of research a while back into the market viability of model hobbies. From what I saw, it does seem to indicate that success is higher if a specific niche is chosen because the big players have price points that are practically impossible to compete with. Web sides such as HobbyKing have probably forced many hobby themed businesses out of the scene. Actually, I heard that TowerHobbies declared bankruptcy this year and sold to another company :(.

So, I guess trying to be everything to everyone is not a good idea.

Never attempted a rotor head mainly because most stock rotor heads perform just fine and in the event you crash a new head is way cheaper than I would charge to make one.

I usually make parts (not limited to models) that are :

Hard to find
My own designs
Prototypes of other people designs
Work other shops turn down due to complexity

It is defiantly better to find a niche market than to try to be everything to everyone. Sad to see that Tower filed for bankruptcy. In the last few years a good bit of RC companies closed down. I used to fly JR helis exclusively and they closed down this year, Miniature Aircraft USA closed a few years ago and has now been bought over by a German company, HeliHobby closed a while back, brick and mortar hobby stores are almost non existent and hardly anyone learns the skill of building their own models anymore, its all RTF. Multicopters have taken a huge chunk of the traditional Airplane and heli market mainly because of how cheap and easy to fly they are.

Once upon a time I considered opening a hobby store but the profit margins are just too slim, especially if you have to compete with the likes of HobbyKing.

Chevy

I retired from the Natural Gas Compressor industry in ought ought, spent almost 15 yeas wishing I had something to do. My eldest son built up a business in model flying (rubber band powered) and bought a propeller manufactury. Siince he was gainfully employed I got the job of making things for him. It started out making propellers and necessary hardware, prop shafts, bushings, thrust bearings, (5/16 diameter, three steel balls .080, one .040 disc of aluminum with 4 holes in it and two steel flat washers.) and a couple other items, hinges for the folding props, etc. Since then we've taken on making 10 to 0ne winders, 8 and 30 ounce-inch torque meters and balsa slitters. With the machinery I have, I've started contracting for small machine parts, not enough yet to eat better, but I'm busy doing what I enjoy.
Never attempted a rotor head mainly because most stock rotor heads perform just fine and in the event you crash a new head is way cheaper than I would charge to make one.

I usually make parts (not limited to models) that are :

Hard to find
My own designs
Prototypes of other people designs
Work other shops turn down due to complexity

It is defiantly better to find a niche market than to try to be everything to everyone. Sad to see that Tower filed for bankruptcy. In the last few years a good bit of RC companies closed down. I used to fly JR helis exclusively and they closed down this year, Miniature Aircraft USA closed a few years ago and has now been bought over by a German company, HeliHobby closed a while back, brick and mortar hobby stores are almost non existent and hardly anyone learns the skill of building their own models anymore, its all RTF. Multicopters have taken a huge chunk of the traditional Airplane and heli market mainly because of how cheap and easy to fly they are.

Once upon a time I considered opening a hobby store but the profit margins are just too slim, especially if you have to compete with the likes of HobbyKing.

Chevy

My first helicopter was a Lite Machines 110, and then a Venture CP. After that, it was a Raptor 30v2. I don't know if anyone still flies those Raptors anymore, lol.

Seems that it is critical for someone to strategically position himself in a market with so many outside threats taking the market away. I think that would also indicate that there is no such thing as customer loyalty. Whoever puts it out the cheapest wins seems to be the flavor of this era.

I will never give into a quad copter. I like my single rotor head machines.

Do not open on Saturdays, this is when the homeowners and hobbyists are out and about. If the locals know you are open you will get a never ending stream of broken bicycle parts, broken $19.00 beach chairs, door handles, broken wrought and cast iron patio furniture, kitchen appliance parts, truck ladder racks, car roof top kayak and bicycle racks, home plumbing fixtures, fireplace grates and guards, lawn sprinklers, lawn mowers, floor lamps, reclining chairs, BBQ grills, ceiling fans, floor fans, garage door opener components and so on, most all of these people want you to make a part to repair something that they bought simply for it's low price, you can not do so. Just Say No

Then the dreaded hobbyists begin to show up, the local classic (not wealthy) muscle car guys are the worst of this lot, they will expect you to share their own love of 1971 Chevy Camaros, they will want a new alternator bracket made for instance and will go stark raving mad when you tell them that it will cost in excess of $500.00 and tell you that GM sold them for $14.95 when in production 50 years ago.

Then the motorcycle types turn up, most of the young ones spend a good deal of time on the internet and know all about how factory racing motorcycles are made (-: They will ask for a price on a part using all of the advertising key words used in the hobby world, Aircraft Grade Aluminum, CNC Machined, Hard Anodized a certain color, a generous radius in all corners for appearance only, most of these people also have no disposable income.

The same applies to boat owners, cyclists and RC modelers whether it is cars, boats, rockets, planes or robot vacuum cleaners. If indeed you can become well known in one of the hobby industries you may make some cash, this is tough sledding however.

If you can design and produce a proprietary product that people will actually buy in sufficient numbers to make a profit have at it

I am trying to do this with a four year plan. No where near ready but moving forward. Where I am there is no production. It s all maintenance and repair. I realize I need something to be steady so I am doing it with a sharpening business along side of it. Doing knives for restaurants, chipper, planer, scissors, drills for a few companies(4 facet) and other stuff as well. At times really just offering a service to get my foot in the door so they know I am available. Concentrating more on the sharpening aspect knowing I am not ready but inching forward with equipment and tooling. The only licensed guy around Works in my favour but not advertising machining at all. Just letting word of mouth do its thing.
Also realize that I need to make some of my own products. One thing for sure most people have no idea what it takes and the expense for good quality accurate machining when most people all seem to care about is the cost not quality. Hit my first year projection. I have to admit at times it is scary at 50 years old. Wasn t going to use the credit card but that went out the window along time ago. Your handcuffed for so long and it s a slippery slope but you have to spend money and lots of it to succeed or else you sit idle.

Do not open on Saturdays, this is when the homeowners and hobbyists are out and about. If the locals know you are open you will get a never ending stream of broken bicycle parts, broken $19.00 beach chairs, door handles, broken wrought and cast iron patio furniture, kitchen appliance parts, truck ladder racks, car roof top kayak and bicycle racks, home plumbing fixtures, fireplace grates and guards, lawn sprinklers, lawn mowers, floor lamps, reclining chairs, BBQ grills, ceiling fans, floor fans, garage door opener components and so on, most all of these people want you to make a part to repair something that they bought simply for it's low price, you can not do so. Just Say No

Then the dreaded hobbyists begin to show up, the local classic (not wealthy) muscle car guys are the worst of this lot, they will expect you to share their own love of 1971 Chevy Camaros, they will want a new alternator bracket made for instance and will go stark raving mad when you tell them that it will cost in excess of $500.00 and tell you that GM sold them for $14.95 when in production 50 years ago.

Then the motorcycle types turn up, most of the young ones spend a good deal of time on the internet and know all about how factory racing motorcycles are made (-: They will ask for a price on a part using all of the advertising key words used in the hobby world, Aircraft Grade Aluminum, CNC Machined, Hard Anodized a certain color, a generous radius in all corners for appearance only, most of these people also have no disposable income.

The same applies to boat owners, cyclists and RC modelers whether it is cars, boats, rockets, planes or robot vacuum cleaners. If indeed you can become well known in one of the hobby industries you may make some cash, this is tough sledding however.

If you can design and produce a proprietary product that people will actually buy in sufficient numbers to make a profit have at it

I have to say...you could have gone on with this rant for 45 minutes and I would have read every word. You had me hooked at “garage opener parts”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wasn t going to use the credit card but that went out the window along time ago.

That reminds me: Don't borrow money to start or expand a business. That has been my rule for 50 years and has served me well. If you can't pay cash for tools and equipment, then you're doing it wrong. Nothing worse than the bank nipping at your heels when work gets slow. Nothing wrong with using a credit card for records management, but don't charge more than you can afford to pay off at the end of the month by either having the cash available or very solid receivables.

Back