What machine uses this boring head?

Barncat

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I got a few of these in an auction. Trying to decide if they are worth selling or they go in the scrap bin for use in future projects. Very stout, but really cumbersome to use. Does anyone still make the HSS bits for them? What machine takes this type of head? There isn't a provision for a threaded drawbar. Looks like an NMTB 50 taper.IMG_20200228_111617623.jpgIMG_20200228_111623830.jpgIMG_20200228_115545834.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200228_111617623.jpg
    IMG_20200228_111617623.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 12
Wow!

Is that a rack cut into the HSS cutting bit for the pinion to feed it with?

Never seen that!

-brino

It certainly is. Except it doesn’t really turn it so much as pushes it out

I used to use those where I apprenticed, they are very nice, would be used on a horizontal boring mill G&L Davis has the bits for them.

Me Too, Benmy, we finally got to where were we boring them and inserting graduated screw driven tools for adjustment.
Horizpntal boring mills. Never kinew the name of the mount.

The ones that we had (a whole set of them ) had Morse taper shanks, but another HBM that they bought after I left the place had 50 taper spindle like the one shown. That adjustment screw makes for quite sensitive adjustments.

So it is something people still use? I guess as long as someone is still making the bits for it, it doesn't need to go in the project materials bin.

Depending on the cost, I might be interested in that. It will fit my K&T if it's a 50 taper.

Seems that would make for very accurate deep boring. Would be difficult to find a more rigid setup. Would work well on my big Gorton mill also , If as Voca says it is in fact a 50 taper. I would also be interested If you have any left after his needs are meet. Cheers, Mike

Vocatexas and fomogo, I will contact you two later tonight or tomorrow. I don't think I would want too much for them, just whatever it would cost me to replace the steel with a similar size bar from an online metal place and a piece of HSS. I don't know how much that would be, have to look into it. They do weigh about 40 lbs each, so shipping could be high.

Back