What Machines Do You Have In Your Home Shop?

What Machines Do You Have In Your Home Shop?

• Metal Cutting Lathe

Votes: 611 93.0%
  • Knee Mill/Bench Mill

Votes: 472 71.8%
  • Surface Grinder

Votes: 109 16.6%
  • Shaper

Votes: 97 14.8%
  • Metal Cutting Bandsaw

Votes: 461 70.2%
  • Drill Press

Votes: 590 89.8%
  • Pedestal/Bench Grinder

Votes: 581 88.4%
  • Belt Grinder/Sander

Votes: 459 69.9%
  • Welding Equipment

Votes: 535 81.4%
  • Plasma Cutter/Table

Votes: 113 17.2%
  • Hydraulic Press

Votes: 240 36.5%
  • Bending Brake

Votes: 167 25.4%
  • Air Compressor

Votes: 609 92.7%
  • Gantry Crane/Engine Hoist/Shop Crane

Votes: 251 38.2%
  • Arbor Press

Votes: 245 37.3%
  • Tubing Notcher/English Wheel

Votes: 61 9.3%
  • Woodworking Tablesaw

Votes: 455 69.3%
  • Woodworking Bandsaw

Votes: 355 54.0%
  • Woodworking Router/Router Table

Votes: 412 62.7%
  • Woodworking Planer/Joiner/Shaper

Votes: 261 39.7%
  • Woodworking Lathe

Votes: 154 23.4%
  • Compound/Cross-Cutting Miter Saw

Votes: 326 49.6%
  • Air Filtration/Blower System

Votes: 139 21.2%

• Total voters
Tool that should be added to the list.

I have an oscillating spindle sander that I use often on both metal and wood projects that produces very nice finishes on all types of material.

I got 2 words for you guys: Separate Accounts.

She makes her money, she buys shoes and expensive clothes.
I make my money, I buy machine tools and firearms.
Life is good.

We started out our married life, 1962, with an allowance based on my salary. .1 % of my annual salary per week for each person. I was making $5,000 a year so we each got $5.00 a week. Spend your share on whatever you want, no complaints or comments from the other side. Works great. I supplemented my allowance as a picker on the weekends. Fortunately for my wife my hobby is woodworking so she was able to indenture me to build furniture, cabinets and accessories for our houses.

Tools, just bought a Craftsman 12 x 36, Walker-Turner radial arm drill press, various woodworking machines and a collection of antique woodworking tools, molding planes, etc.

Dave Nelson.

Dave Nelson.

Two metal lathes, 12"X24" Atlas craftsman, 18"X84" Greeves Klusman flat belt, Kerney and Treker 2HL vertical mill, 7" Lewis Shaper, small cheep drill press, and a 21" Canedy Otto camelback drill pressShop Pictures 2012 005.jpgShop Pictures 2012 009.jpg

Shop Pictures 2012 005.jpg Shop Pictures 2012 009.jpg

Hi guys; Aside those tools listed I also have a power hacksaw, 4 drill presses one of witch is a camelback style, and a portable OA burning set. I am also in the process of making my own hydraulic press. I have also fabricated a welding table on casters ( it dosen't move much-very heavy-but it does move easly) and a load of small hand & power tools that I use for property maintenance on my 150 acres.
As for the money it is mine, she just tells me how to spend it. :)) It keeps the peace in the household.:whiteflag:

I have all in the poll except for a couple of small items like an arbor press, as I have vises and a hydraulic press to use. Also in the shop is

A forklift
A 4x8 welding/fab table
30 inch power squaring shear
Propane/oxy torch
Parts washer
2 media blast cabinets
Pallet jack
Water cooler for welders
24" sheet metal brake
Rotex turret punch, 1/8 to 2 inch capacity
30 inch stomp shear
Commercial 18 hp pressure washer
Pot style sandblaster
Abrasive cutoff saw
Carolina horizontal metal cutting bandsaw
Powdercoat oven
Generator
3x3 mobile weld table
Portaband base mounted cutoff saw

I never heard of a wife yet that didn't think her husband had "too much junk" which generally equates to their description of our machines and tools. Particularly if you are a hobbyist not turning a profit for the wife to spend. That is actually what defines junk from something that most wives will deem productive, does it make money that I get to spend? If yes then that is worthwhile. If she cannot spend it or gain benefit then your home garage/shop is simply taking up the space where either her car, or the washing machine and dryer are supposed to be! :lmao:

I guess I've got a rare one then. She doesn't necessarily understand why I want/need all of it, but as long as there's still room for her to park her car inside, she's not concerned.

I do woodwork, metal work; including welding, blacksmithing and machining and I work on cars and motorcycles. Thus, I checked off most of the items on the list and could add a few that aren't on it. Then there's the hand tools for all the various disciplines.

What do I do when I've already voted but then I buy another tool???

In a moment of weakness today I added a surface grinder to the horde.......

EDIT: And if FEDEX can figure out where I live I'll have a bandsaw to add also.

Back