What Machines Do You Have In Your Home Shop?

What Machines Do You Have In Your Home Shop?

• Metal Cutting Lathe

Votes: 611 93.0%
  • Knee Mill/Bench Mill

Votes: 472 71.8%
  • Surface Grinder

Votes: 109 16.6%
  • Shaper

Votes: 97 14.8%
  • Metal Cutting Bandsaw

Votes: 461 70.2%
  • Drill Press

Votes: 590 89.8%
  • Pedestal/Bench Grinder

Votes: 581 88.4%
  • Belt Grinder/Sander

Votes: 459 69.9%
  • Welding Equipment

Votes: 535 81.4%
  • Plasma Cutter/Table

Votes: 113 17.2%
  • Hydraulic Press

Votes: 240 36.5%
  • Bending Brake

Votes: 167 25.4%
  • Air Compressor

Votes: 609 92.7%
  • Gantry Crane/Engine Hoist/Shop Crane

Votes: 251 38.2%
  • Arbor Press

Votes: 245 37.3%
  • Tubing Notcher/English Wheel

Votes: 61 9.3%
  • Woodworking Tablesaw

Votes: 455 69.3%
  • Woodworking Bandsaw

Votes: 355 54.0%
  • Woodworking Router/Router Table

Votes: 412 62.7%
  • Woodworking Planer/Joiner/Shaper

Votes: 261 39.7%
  • Woodworking Lathe

Votes: 154 23.4%
  • Compound/Cross-Cutting Miter Saw

Votes: 326 49.6%
  • Air Filtration/Blower System

Votes: 139 21.2%

• Total voters
Two metal lathes, 12"X24" Atlas craftsman, 18"X84" Greeves Klusman flat belt, Kerney and Treker 2HL vertical mill, 7" Lewis Shaper, small cheep drill press, and a 21" Canedy Otto camelback drill pressView attachment 48415View attachment 48416

Oh my, We gotta get together I just came upon this and I though John Odder and myself are the
only one is the world with a GK. Mine is unmolested complete with all the change gears It had with
a 440 3phase with I went with 110 single phase years ago. This is the only factory photo known
exactly like mine sam

greaves_ad.jpg

I have a very small shop at the present time, it is 64 sq ft. i do have a router, and router table, a small table saw, as well as a small tile saw that i modified to cut sheet metal as well. I have a small 6" bench grinder,small gas cutting welding unit, and a dremel tool. i have a wide range of hand tools both for metal and wood working. I am a Gun smith and have been operating this small shop for about a year now, earning enough to purchase a larger shop that once the snow goes and i can get it moved in i will renovate it to suit my needs. With the tools i have and the lack of tools i have, It has made me rely on doing a lot of manufacturing of obsolete gun parts the old way using a hacksaw, a file, and a lot of elbow grease, imagination on some occasions has been helpful too. Once my larger shop is ready to go i am going to be seriously looking for a mill and a Lathe. I do have a duo in mind to get me started the mill being a CX 601, and the Lathe being a CT 089 its a 13 x 24 Craftex Lathe. Both available at Busy Bee.

Ok here is my list.

Don't have

arbor press.
metal shaper.

Have

mills. K&T 205 s12, grizzly g0726 12X54, bridgeport M head, grizzly g0704

lathes. clausing 14X40, SB 10K & 9C

surface grinders. KO lee 8X18, reid 7X12

metal band saws. grizzly g0614 6X9 1/2, millwaukee porta band deep throat

welders. hobart 400 amp tig/stick, miller 250 amp trailblazer gas drive, millersuitcase mig, miller 250 amp mig, hobart 220 volt mig, astro 110 volt mig,lincoln ideal arc 250 amp, 3 victor gas welding cutting heating outfits.

plasma. hypertherm 45

Grinders. Three 9”, six 4 ½”, Three diegrinders, 6,8 and 10” bench grinders, two belt grinders, delta carbide grinder,double sided 12” disk sander, delta disc/belt sander.

Misc. 2 drill presses, mag drill, 50 ton press, complete set of enerpac porta powers with 3 pumps,metal circular saw, sand blast and bead blast cabinets, 5 compressors up to1000 cfm diesel, 20 ton crane, 35’ man lift, 14,000 asymmetrical car lift, fairly complete woodworking shop and six or seven tool boxes of hand tools up to 1 ½ ‘wrenches and 3” sockets.

When we moved to NY I couldn't find a large garage so now most of my stuff is in two 40' conex boxes. but last year we purchased 33 acres and as soon as the snow melts I am starting on building a 50X80 pole building with 18' ceilings. Doing a perk test next week! it's been a long time in the planning stage.

Yes I’m a tool junkie.

Hey Keltg

You kick ass.
Good luck with your new shop!

Bernie

I have a very small shop at the present time, it is 64 sq ft. i do have a router, and router table, a small table saw, as well as a small tile saw that i modified to cut sheet metal as well. I have a small 6" bench grinder,small gas cutting welding unit, and a dremel tool. i have a wide range of hand tools both for metal and wood working. I am a Gun smith and have been operating this small shop for about a year now, earning enough to purchase a larger shop that once the snow goes and i can get it moved in i will renovate it to suit my needs. With the tools i have and the lack of tools i have, It has made me rely on doing a lot of manufacturing of obsolete gun parts the old way using a hacksaw, a file, and a lot of elbow grease, imagination on some occasions has been helpful too. Once my larger shop is ready to go i am going to be seriously looking for a mill and a Lathe. I do have a duo in mind to get me started the mill being a CX 601, and the Lathe being a CT 089 its a 13 x 24 Craftex Lathe. Both available at Busy Bee.

Hey Keltg

You kick ass.
Good luck with your new shop!

Bernie
Thanks Bernie, i am putting together an album of some of the rifles and shot guns i have done. i am going to post it once i get it all together. It is going to be my first year of smithing.

you guys have some awesome machines

if I had everything I wanted I would have to roof from property line to property line
I like to save and get the old heavy iron running again

the quality and tolerances from the machines from the 60's and before
compared to now are just unbelievable

mike

2 ton overhead crane full length of shop
miller dial arc 250 amp welder
esab 250 mig welder
bridgeport milling machine with a DROPROS 3 axis
10hp atlas copco screw compressor with regenerative double filter tower
20 hp duplex compressor
185 cfm diesel compressor
hougan magnetic rotabroach
ingersol rand magnetic drill
90 pound sandblasting pot
350 pound sandblasting pot
clemco silverado recirculating blasting cabinet
4 feet by 8 feet blasting cabinet
16x40 acura turn lathe
lincoln bobcat 250
3 wisota pedestal grinder
5 hp baldor pedestal grinder
4 foot dries and crump finger brake
50 ton manco hydraulic press
oxy actylene set
3 cats

I have a few items on the list but my key tools are
mk11 Colchester student (oddball its got metric and imperial divisions on the cross and compound winders)
pipe benders
AEW Horizon turret mill
Tiger Saw
Cebora TIG welder
a gang of angle grinders
a couple of hydraulic bike ramps and a frame bench/jig that i made myself
And I confess that I dream of a bigger workshop

Have some of the items as I am not a machinist, but love metal working. After buying my lathe 5 years ago I got hooked. Have welders (ARC, TIG, MIG boat anchor, OXY, Plasma cutter) and a home built mill (which im fixing to rev #2). Cramped space for a single car garage, but its my home away from (the mother-in-law) home. :)

I have the following machines

12 x 36 Chinese lathe
14'' vertical bandsaw
16 speed 16mm Drill press
2 Bench Grinders
Tormek wet tool grinder and hone system
Fronios Magicwave 1700 Stick Tig
Kemppi Miniarc Mig 180 Adaptive
10 c ft compressor
Hydraulic pipe bender to 2"
A Hossfield type metal bender
Plus a bunch of basic hand held power tools -2 of each for the most part.

Last edited:
Back