What method to use in making part? Eyeball it or use the dials?

I dont have DRO , but id setup an indicator for my stops . No worries after the first slot, they repeat as long as you dont move the indicator. Id even use one for spacing the slots. I worked on very old wornout machines in a shop and always made inspection.

i have 2 machines with DRO's, a lathe and a Mill- it takes a whole lot of guess work out of making things
i'm old school,
i learned to use calipers, feeler gauges, dial indicators, gage blocks, and set up blocks (because the machines i learned on were old and we didn't have DRO's)

i think learning the hard way is best, then learn the easy way- if at all possible :)

No concern at all. Once you start the machining process, always approach the work from the same direction. So if you need to backup 0.125, backup 0.250 and then approach the work from the same direction. It's easier to do than to describe in words. You do it enough and you will automatically do it to compensate for the backlash. I still do it even with a DRO, it's just muscle memory.

What method would I use? I would just program it in. :grin:. Having said that, I have made lots of parts like that on a manual machine without a DRO, but I was machining long before DROs existed. ;)
I still do the same thing even with a machine with encoders on the handles, habits die hard do they not?
I will back off an encoded handle 3 turns much like I did with manual machines, as pointless as it may be.

Last edited:
i have 2 machines with DRO's, a lathe and a Mill- it takes a whole lot of guess work out of making things
i'm old school,
i learned to use calipers, feeler gauges, dial indicators, gage blocks, and set up blocks (because the machines i learned on were old and we didn't have DRO's)

i think learning the hard way is best, then learn the easy way- if at all possible :)

Like you, I'm old school, and do it the way I was taught, I don't see a DRO in my future, It's not the cost, just can't see the point. Yes I understand all the stuff about perfection. which is really not required that often. I was recently reading a British magazine on hobby machining and a drawing specified an angle to two decimal points. This angle had no purpose it was only for appearance, I mean give me a break. It could have been 5 deg either way and would not have made any difference, so what is the point. End of rant.

I like Bobshobby he's my kind of guy LOL Seriously though I would like a DRO someday but there's lots o' things I'd like to have. To the OP I would say ditch the Sharpie and buy a bottle of Dykem. Great investment.
Mark S.
ps actually I should have said keep the Sharpie but add the Dykem to your arsenal of layout tools. I use a Sharpie sometimes too :D

Last edited:
I don't see a DRO in my future, It's not the cost, just can't see the point.

First let me say that I have never claimed to be a machinist, but I can make acceptable parts without all of the newfangled electronics. When I first installed a DRO on a machine, back in the early 80's, I found that the quality of my work improved and my productivity increased. Then many years later when I got a CNC machine, there was another dramatic increase in accuracy and productivity. I really found out I'm a much better programmer than a machinist. ;)

Back