What Model Am I Looking At??

jmcghee

Registered
Registered
Hey guys-

I'm going to check out a Bridgeport this weekend, and am having some trouble nailing down what I'm looking at. The seller doesn't have a ton of info, so I figured I'd come here & ask the experts. At first I was thinking Series II special, but now I'm not sure? Here's what stands out to me: box ways on the knee & saddle, column riser, 2hp R8 varispeed head, servo powerfeed x rather than integral, no air assist on the knee. Was there such a thing as series I with box ways? Frankenmill? Am I overthinking it? Normally I'd rather be looking at a mill with more background info, but the price on this one is pretty fantastic. Anyone know what this thing is??

IMG_0377.JPG

IMG_0384.JPG

i'm not an expert on all the BP models, but it appears to be Series 1 ,2J variable head.
it also has the 12" travel on the knee vs 9" of the smaller version.

i have a series 1, 1J step pulley head. mine also has the 12" knee travel

Pretty sure that is a Series II frame, with an 11x58 table. Looks like a 2J2 head, they did build some like that, Series II Special I think. Never seen that particular vari-drive faceplate before, must be a later one.

i found a similar 2J head on a google search, reported to be a 1997 version of the machine.
the machine has chrome ways, a very nice feature! :drool:

1516082143985.png

You got it Mike Series 1 2J head.

"Billy G"

i'm not an expert on all the BP models, but it appears to be Series 1 ,2J variable head.
it also has the 12" travel on the knee vs 9" of the smaller version.

i have a series 1, 1J step pulley head. mine also has the 12" knee travel
You got it Mike Series 1 2J head.

"Billy G"

Did you guys catch the box ways? ;)

Nice catch Jim, I missed it. Either way it's a good deal.

"Billy G"

Back