H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Owner says it’s a 10x48
These are the only pics I have.
80f1dc41204f3b4c3716be96a521577d.jpeg

5ffce946cb7b256432f69f150b5e373b.plist

a11f8a9271228dcc481d7002f2a020d0.jpeg

I can make out a flat belt and I think the motor in the first picture. Looks like maybe the owner put a board in front of the headstock as a guard?

Any sense of what year this machine might be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure of model , but it's got a nice expensive chuck .

Not sure of model , but it's got a nice expensive chuck .

This is the 10x48 SB that surfaced from my ad.
I’m asking about tooling and the exact model number.

It's got a set true chuck which is good . Not sure what's going on with the headstock unless he's missing something . :dunno:
Is this the 1000 delivered lathe ?

It's got a set true chuck which is good . Not sure what's going on with the headstock unless he's missing something . :dunno:
Is this the 1000 delivered lathe ?

No the $1000 delivered lathe is a SB 10K CLO770R.
This one is a response to my ad.

Notice how the flat belt is oriented vertically? This lathe is an old line shaft machine that looks like it was converted to a motor.
You can see the motor and a bit of the support structure in the photo. I don't know anything about South Bend lathes, but this
looks pre-war which suggests two things to me: lots of wear, and project lathe. I could be wrong of course, but if it were me
I'd look for something a bit more modern.

Thanks gents.
This fellow is asking $1000 which I think is waaaay too much.

I think you're right about that. But it's also good to keep in mind that a cheap price can sucker you in to buying
a lathe that in the end will consume your money and time when what you want to do is make parts and learn
how to use the machine. The purchase price of a lathe is sort of the down payment. It can be very easy to
spend more money on repairs and tooling than you spent on the purchase price of the machine. It can be frustrating
looking for a machine when you live somewhere where lathes are thin on the ground, but it's important to be patient
enough to learn how to evaluate a machine and learn what the local market is like. Knowing that will help you develop
a realistic budget as well.

Back