What Model of Clausing is this?

7milesup

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have a Precision Matthews 1022 lathe but I am always keeping an eye out for something bigger and better. This is coming up on an auction. I am sure it will go for 4x what I can pay but my question is, what model is this?
----> Clausing 15"x48" Lathe <----

Logistics would be a little bit of an issue. About a 5 hour drive each way. However, I am coming back through that area on my way home from a trip. I wonder how the wife would react to "Hold on here for a bit honey. I just have to pull in here and pick this 3000lb lathe up. I will be right back..."

1599785509721.png

Very similar to our Mark 2 in here at work . Ours has a more squarish headstock , not as rounded as this one . All the knobs and levers are identical .

Any clue as to value? Also, I am assuming that the gear box is an enclosed oil bath type? Probably a dumb question....

Power cross feed on these?

This looks like a REAL lathe. I think you’d be very happy with this.

Well, given what you've presumably been happy with up 'til now, what is it that you want to do that requires this?

... like it matters...

Well, given what you've presumably been happy with up 'til now, what is it that you want to do that requires this?

... like it matters...

Ok, I admit it... I am a toolaholic. At this point, nothing that I would do would require this. Requirements.... We don't need no stinkin' requirements..

Actually, I have had a number of times that I cannot the part I am turning through the headstock of the PM1022. It is just a "touch" under 1" which is frustrating.
I ran this past the wife and she was indifferent. I think that is a sign she might be leaving me... Hopefully she found someone nice. :party:

Any clue as to value?
Depends on if two bidders want it bad and go wild on their bids. I would guess 3500-5k range. Also depend on the amount of available machines in your area.

Nice lathe but they are out there cheaper than 3500-5000 . Ours in here is used for polishing 99% of the time , and the other 1% by me when something needs to be made . Our ways are very worn , and there is no way I would throw $3500 at it .

I would just wonder what the spindle mounting is. It does have a couple of faceplates and chucks but what would it take if you needed something different? Also, wouldn't bid more than $1500 for it. Kinda too big for most hobby guys and too old for working shops.

John

Back