What oils where

Camnefdt

Registered
Registered
Hi all

So i have just fetched my lathe today! And the first thing i do? Strip it down of course!

The poor thing had some weird lubrication used in some wierd places!

So what is the right lubes or acceptable lubes to use in the various parts?

Mine is belt drive from motor and gear drive to lead screw. Is 80w90 gear oil good for the gears?

Also on the top of the head stock above the bearings it has drip lubricators to feed oil into the bearings, what oil should i use for that?

Ive attached a pic i have of the lathe, looks much better than the picture already, just with a thorough clean!

ad_1529605360071.jpg

Oh and theres been grease applied to the feed gear that mates to the rack under the bed, is grease fine? Or should I clean and rather oil?

This chart is for a similar size/style lathe, should work fine for yours.

Attachments

• lubrication_chart_6503.pdf
    889.9 KB · Views: 22
Goop it, glob it, slather it, smear it. Grease is fine for the rack, thick oil for everything else- did I mention wearing some old clothes doing this?
Mark

Goop it, glob it, slather it, smear it. Grease is fine for the rack, thick oil for everything else- did I mention wearing some old clothes doing this?
Mark
Im a heavy machinery mechanic, just wore my overalls haha

I stay in a small town at the moment, extremely hard to find pretty much anything.

Ill keep using the 80w90 gear oil for now and then try get some of the right stuff.

I use open gear grease on the rack and gears of mine. It's sticky so it doesn't drip or get flung off, and as a bonus, it's made for the
purpose! The brand I have is JetLube OG-H, but of course there are others. Easy to order online. Spindle oil can be used for the
oil cups. There are way oils formulated for the ways themselves which I also use on the sliding surfaces of the carriage and compound.

Congrats on your new machine!

Last edited:
I use open gear grease on the rack and gears of mine. It's sticky so it doesn't drip or get flung off, and as a bonus, it's made for the
purpose! The brand I have is JetLube OG-H, but of course there are others. Easy to order online. Spindle oil can be used for the
oil cups. There are way oils formulated for the ways themselves which I also use on the sliding surfaces of the carriage and compound.

Congrats on your new machine!
Thanks!

Need some tools to actually machine stuff now!

Back