What QCTP to get for EMCO Compact 8?

As a matter of fact I just came in from my shop. I took the motor off this week and cleaned everything up that was near it. I was putting the pulley back on the spindle and knocked the taper bearings loose so I had to spend some time getting those put back where they belonged. The fan cover on the motor was full of dirt, chips and slivers of wood so I cleaned that out. The flat (cogged) belt looked just fine but I will order a spare anyway. When I get the gears put back in the only thing I have left to tear apart and clean is the tail stock. I still need to weld a crack in the safety guard. After all of that I MAY be ready to do some turning with it. I came up with 2 lathe projects while I was working on the motor.
I haven't ordered new tool holders yet. Maybe I can catch them on sale again.
Do you still need a picture of the idler pulley? If so I will try to do it this weekend. So, that is the latest and greatest. More later. Regards, Ron

There it is, the drill press that they factory welded the chuck on! Anyways I too was a little confused
with all the letters & numbers. So my lantern toolpost is toasted. Enough so I take a ride to W.T Tools
which is 15mi on my street building boarded up for sale to buy this modern qct. I ended up making a
new toolpost which really is better. I no sooner got it finished and my son found WTs phone no in MI.
which I called and sales person is pretty sharp on my 9A SB. So a quick change with five tool holders
inc. boring bar for all up to a 12" swing will be AXA (100) . Sent check for $155 comming ups this wk.
I cant wait finally getting in the 20 century. He said this thing will change my life sam

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Bob, I'm still looking. One of the web sites I went to a couple of weeks ago had the post and attachments on sale for $78.00. I should have ordered one then. Everywhere I look I find Aloris tools which are way above my pay grade. Sometimes retirement isn't all it is cracked up to be. No, I'll keep looking. Something will show up sooner or later.
Have a good day. Regards, Ron

Thanks Ed. When I was at this web site before I neglected to bookmark it so I couldn't remember where I had seen it. Anyway, the tools are on their way. ;0
Regards, Ron

Hello. I'm a "newbie" to this forum and this is my first post. I just purchased an Emco Compact 8 lathe from an original owner. It's not yellow so I don't know if its really old or new. I have some questions here concerning my lathe in no particular order of importance: (1) my lathe is grey. Is this an older or newer model and what year roughly would it be? (2) I would like to put a QCTP on it but there are conflicting sizes on which one to use! I've measured the the center line of the spindle bore to the "pad" where the tool holder sits on and it's approx .540"-.550". Which size QCTP holder do I use: OXA or AXA? I already know that I have to install a 10mm stud since there is a 8mm stud that is pressed and held in with a pin. I don't mind drilling/tapping for a threaded 10mm. (3) I'm also looking for a "thread dial". My understanding is they are hard to find so any help in locating one that works would be greatly appreciated. Please help!

I really love this lathe and looking forward to working on it! I want to cut valve guides and small bushings for the aircooled engines that I build. I went to go see the ones that the LMS sells but the quality (Chinese) is really not up to par. I'm a retired aircraft mechanic and the tools we used to build the planes were top quality! I immediately "passed" on it and got on the internet and read that the Emco Compact 8 was a good "mini" lathe that is/was made in Austria. I got on Craigslist and luck would have it, a guy had one about 300 miles away from me. That same weekend, I got in my truck, drove (about 600 miles round trip) and for 4hrs. later, I was the proud new second owner! Everything is nice and tight.....just the way I like it! Thanks for your help. XCIMA ;-)

Welcome to H-M, xcima!

Proper forum etiquette would dictate that you should start a new thread of your own, rather than tagging along on an almost six year old thread. If you need help with doing that, let me know and I will be happy to assist you.

Not having any experience with the Emco lathes, I cannot help you, but there are others here that probably can.

Hello. I'm a "newbie" to this forum and this is my first post. I just purchased an Emco Compact 8 lathe from an original owner. It's not yellow so I don't know if its really old or new. I have some questions here concerning my lathe in no particular order of importance: (1) my lathe is grey. Is this an older or newer model and what year roughly would it be? (2) I would like to put a QCTP on it but there are conflicting sizes on which one to use! I've measured the the center line of the spindle bore to the "pad" where the tool holder sits on and it's approx .540"-.550". Which size QCTP holder do I use: OXA or AXA? I already know that I have to install a 10mm stud since there is a 8mm stud that is pressed and held in with a pin. I don't mind drilling/tapping for a threaded 10mm. (3) I'm also looking for a "thread dial". My understanding is they are hard to find so any help in locating one that works would be greatly appreciated. Please help!

I really love this lathe and looking forward to working on it! I want to cut valve guides and small bushings for the aircooled engines that I build. I went to go see the ones that the LMS sells but the quality (Chinese) is really not up to par. I'm a retired aircraft mechanic and the tools we used to build the planes were top quality! I immediately "passed" on it and got on the internet and read that the Emco Compact 8 was a good "mini" lathe that is/was made in Austria. I got on Craigslist and luck would have it, a guy had one about 300 miles away from me. That same weekend, I got in my truck, drove (about 600 miles round trip) and for 4hrs. later, I was the proud new second owner! Everything is nice and tight.....just the way I like it! Thanks for your help. XCIMA ;-)

Welcome to HM, xcima. The Emco Compact 8 is a very nice little lathe and sounds perfect for the use you described.

1) If the lathe is grey, there are two possibilities. One, the lathe may have been painted grey by the PO, or two, it may be a later model of the Compact 8. Does yours look like this?

46971_3CNUFZV296UCO1486319359.jpg

If so, then it may be a later model of the Compact 8 that was made in China. If it is a Compact 8E like that above, then it is for sure made in China. The Compact 8 was the predecessor of the ubiquitous 9 X 20 class of Asian clones because it is a very good design. I am unclear how old a grey lathe is. Profi Heim took over the Hobby machine side of Emco and were responsible for the Compact 8 but I'm not sure when that was. Profi Heim went out of business in 2001 so its at least that old.

If yours was by chance simply repainted then your lathe was an orangey-yellow color and that one was made in Austria to toolroom standards (DIN 8606). I have personally worked on and helped restore one of these lathes and it is a fine lathe.

2) An OXA tool post fits the Compact 8 perfectly. An AXA will be way too large. Wait to receive the tool post before making a new one so you get the size right. You will need to anchor it from below unless you are willing to tap into the original cross slide.

3) I don't believe that thread dials for the Compact 8 were made. However, I'm pretty sure the one from the Maximat 7 fits and works. I've seen them on ebay listed as a thread dial indicator for the Compact 8 but while it is shown on a single picture in the Compact 8 manual, it is not listed as an accessory. Emco always lists every accessory made for every lathe they make so if its not listed then it wasn't made for that lathe. Again, the one from the Maximat 7 should work. Set up an ebay search for Compact 8/Maximat 7 thread dial indicator and one will come up eventually. Or you can make one.

The Compact 8 is a change gear lathe, which means you need change gears for every thread you cut. This might sound like a negative, what with all the quick change gearbox lathes out there, but a change gear lathe can cut almost any thread you are likely to cut or run across so it is actually a positive. BUT you need the complete change gear set for a lathe that has been out of production for decades. The last time I looked, Pro Machine Tools in the UK still had full change gear sets for this lathe. If you do not see it listed, email the proprietor and ask. Sometimes he has stuff that isn't on the site: https://www.emcomachinetools.co.uk/emco-compact-8-8e-v8-lathes?page=1

If you cannot find what you need at PMT then watch ebay. When someone parts out a lathe, a whole slew of stuff will hit ebay all at once and you need to have your list ready and jump when you see the parts you need. One guy from Maxton tools with the handle "iwasamiller" regularly parts out Emco lathes and he is a good source for parts and info. Nice guy and willing to work with you.

Good luck with the new lathe!

.... The flat (cogged) belt looked just fine but I will order a spare anyway. .....More later. Regards, Ron

I also recently acquired an EMCO 8 lathe, and would like to get spare belts. If anyone knows where these can be purchased, please let me know.

Back