What QCTP to get for EMCO Compact 8?

Nikon Ron

Active User
Registered
I've looked at some catalogs and am confused by all of the number designations of tool holders. Can anyone recommend one for my lathe that isn't expensive. Thanks guys, Ron

Thanks Ed. right now I would just like to get it running. I've almost completed cleaning it and getting the rust off. I still have the pulleys to do but am having a little trouble getting the motor off. The mounting bolts are difficult to get to. I'm missing most of the gears for it so thread cutting isn't going to happen for awhile.
I just ordered a book, "MACHINE TOOL METAL WORKING", from Amazon which I used in a college machine shop class over 40 years ago. I hope it is as good as I remember.
I hope to get some pics of my shop in the future that I can post on here. I hear tell pictures are encouraged. :) Later, Ron

Oops, I guess I best get off my lazy butt and get my camera going huh?
I finally hooked up the motor yesterday and fired it up. Seems to run Ok however the motor is noisy. It must still have some gunk in it. I may have to take it off like I planned originally and clean it out. I will have to unbolt the lathe from the cabinet to get to the bottom bolts.
Oh well, it is the week end. I do honey-dos on the weekend so I can play all week. ## Regards, Ron

Here are some pics of my shop and lathe. There is more work to be done but here is what I have so far.

DSCN3539.JPG DSCN3535.JPG DSCN3536.JPG DSCN3537.JPG DSCN3538.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Dave. I think I will enjoy the addition of a lathe. There have been a couple of times this summer that I could have used it. However, I don't have the gears for cutting threads. Another monetary project for the future. I don't have the manuals for it either. :(
Regards, Ron

I also Love the stand your *8* sits on. i have all the origional literature and manuals that came with my compact 8 as delivered by Blue ridge machinery sometime in the late 80's any idea where the stand came from ?

Actually Joe in looking through the manual that krv3000 sent me it looks just like the cabinet that came with the lathe from EMCO. Ron

KRV, thank you so much for the manual. It is sharper than the one on Sears parts book.
I may have misled you by not leaving the bracket with the gears mounted on it in the picture. I will put everything back to the way I received it along with the 2 extra gears so you can see what I have.
As far as measurements are concerned, do you want the width and diameter (in MM) of the drive pulley or the driven pulley?
Thanks again for the manual. Regards, Ron

Hi krv, I'm back. ;D
Diameter is 46mm. Width is 26mm. It has 3 grooves. Each groove is 6mm wide and 1mm deep. Bore dia. is just under 12mm, (.475 in). Hope this helps.
I will send a picture tomorrow. I was busy in my back yard today. Regards, Ron

Back