What Shaper is this one?

I think I'm closer so I got 1st dibs if he doesn't want it. :p
Race Ya!!! -hehe (right after I fix the shimmy in the front end, and get some good tires on the trailer, and . . .)

Be ready, you will be looking for pieces to do something with, just to watch it run.

Also, beware there is a forward and reverse on shapers, Make sure the table moves on the return stroke. Also, the return stroke is faster the the cutting stroke, just easier to look for which stroke the table moves on.

Your advice is most welcome..... I kind of knew what shapers do, but not exactly how they work. So now I will have to get my head around such points as you mention. I crashed my first lathe because I was not careful enough....... so lots to learn about shapers before turning the power on.

"Your" shaper is fitted with a toolholder for doing slotting or grooving.
You'll want a lantern toolpost similar to the ones found on vintage lathes and a toolholder.
Perhaps its include with this machine???
Wondering what the stroke is as I see the largest one is 300mm?
Hope you get it!

Last edited:
"Your" shaper is fitted with a toolholder for doing slotting or grooving.
You'll want a lantern toolpost similar to the ones found on vintage lathes and a toolholder.
Perhaps its include with this machine???
Wondering what the stroke is as I see the largest one is 300mm?
Hope you get it!

I assume this is the toolpost fitting that I would need? I can see from one of the photos I have received that one is not currently fitted.
As for the stroke I would assume it will be the smaller machine as I expect that this machine was once owned by a training college here in Australia.
As long as I can make it work and it is not so worn as to be just a curiosity, I will be quite happy.

Mal

lantern toolpost2.jpg

Well the shaper came home today. Looking pretty good. Obviously needs a good clean and service and then I need to learn about shapers and how to grind the tooling and operate etc. Here are a few pics. It seems that this is the 30cm model, but I could be mistaken.

As you can see, the change gears, apart from the two already in the machine, have never been used. I guess further investigation with determine if there is significant wear in the dovetails.
2L2A9298.jpg
2L2A9299.jpg
2L2A9300.jpg
2L2A9301.jpg

Back