What should I do with this chunk of cast iron?

CarlosA

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I am very close to parting out a good sized lathe - the bed is worn and abused possibly beyond repair. What would you guys save as far as raw material goes? I always need cast iron for projects so i`m considering cutting the bed into useable pieces to have around for future things. Is there a straight edge hiding in there as well?

Pictures are always welcome; a straight edge? Possibly!

Sorry you've had to give up on it. Wish there had been a simple solution.
Oh gee, there's going to be a bunch.
Please post some picts of the lathe. I've been in need of a tailstock for my RoTab on the mill (I wonder...).

Sorry you've had to give up on it. Wish there had been a simple solution.
Oh gee, there's going to be a bunch.
Please post some picts of the lathe. I've been in need of a tailstock for my RoTab on the mill (I wonder...).

Yeah I got a quote from American grinding and although I can afford it it would only be the start of a very long road ... of making all new lead/feed screws, nuts, and building up then scraping in the saddle. If the lathe had a few more features I would like to have, it would be a no brainier. Further, if my shop we're not 9' x 12' then I'd just move it off into the corner and take my time on it.

If it’s a old lathe with the nice shapes. Maybe take the headstock and tailstock off. Then elevate a piece of tempered glass of the ways. Use it as a table in the house. Like the thin tables people put behind a couch area. Just a idea.

If it’s a old lathe with the nice shapes. Maybe take the headstock and tailstock off. Then elevate a piece of tempered glass of the ways. Use it as a table in the house. Like the thin tables people put behind a couch area. Just a idea.

That would be cool if it had nice legs. Sadly this is just a bench lathe, one of it's flaws ... always hard to put somewhere.

Please post a few pictures so that we can see if it is asking for a specific second life if possible.....
I would definitely keep it until an inspirational project presented itself but I WOULD NOT get rid of it for scrape pricing thats for sure.

Will see if I can find some pics. I have no intention of getting rid of it for scrap pricing, most likely i`d cut the bed up and have some nice pieces of cast iron to use on other projects.

Here is an image captured from a video I was making about the wear.

For the record the wear looks like this:

3/4 turn backlash in the cross slide screw/nut (nearly worn entirely out)
1/2 turn as above in compound screw/nut
Lead screw drive groove is severely worn - talking what should be a 1/4" groove is nearly 1/4 of the way around the screw
Front Bed V way drops .015-.018"
Rock in the saddle on a good section of bed is about .025"

So the only thing getting "scrapped" here will be the bed & saddle - the bottom rails of this bed are around 2" square - the rest of it is less than 1/2" thick anywhere.

DSCN0326.MOV2018-12-04-18h37m10s091.jpg

Carlos...
Rather than cutting it up for the salvaged pieces you would get out of it, maybe someone in your area would be willing to buy it and they in turn would restore it to working condition...
It's seeme to me that would be better than cutting it up.
Bill

Back