What should I do??

CoDef911

Registered
Registered
Hello folks!
Been offline for a couple weeks, trying to get things accomplished around here.
Namely, finally got around to scrapping a ton of old air conditioners we've been storing for years.
Metal prices are through the roof, and it's finally paying good enough to scrap.
So, I took another 5k pounds of shred (just junk bulk sheet metal and parts) to the scrap yard. They're paying $11.15/100 pounds. And that's for things others pay to dispose of. So, I pocketed another $500+.
HOWEVER....The metal shop I use here just happens to be on the way home. ‍♂️
So, like the dummy I am, I just had to stop by.
And of course, they had a ton of drop off BILLET ALUMINUM!!!
Well, aluminum is running $3.50/pound. So I bought $400 worth of blocks, and round stock!
There's some 3/4×24" bars, some 8×8 blocks, and my favorite, a 3"×6' solid aluminum bar!!!
If you were a beginner with very limited skills, what kind of project would you suggest??
Here's a picture of the haul.
Oh, and I might have purchased a new welding machine last week, because why not??

Attachments

• 20210902_154738.jpg
    20210902_154738.jpg
    897.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 20210902_154757.jpg
    20210902_154757.jpg
    897.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 20210902_154821.jpg
    20210902_154821.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 41
Successfully turning carp metal into useful metal officially makes you a hobbyist. As for what kinds of parts you might find inside those big billets... that's up to you. Some people might see press dies, some might just see ashtrays. Maybe there's a glow motor or a steam engine in those blocks. Who knows?

big billets scream to be made into fixtures, at least in my shop.
aluminum mills easily, so the billets could become just about anything in a short time
use kerosene or wd-40 or other cutting agent to prevent aluminum welding to the cutting tooling

a steam engine or IC engine model would be a cool use

Very nice haul . I keep aluminum handy for fixtures of all types . Easy to machine . :encourage: I didn't realize scrap was that high these days , I may need to take a trip to the yard .

OH damn , the Doc beat me to it once again ! :grin:

Billet is the one thing i dont have much of myself. I know some of that aluminum id turn into a few qctp holders. Id rather use steel but if you dont beat them hard the aluminum should last for a bit.

your first project should probably be making a rack for storing your metal stock :) Having stock organised makes it so much easier to find what you need and this won't be your last load up!

Suggestion - save some of that aluminum for prototypes. I use aluminum to make prototypes of various tools and fixtures that I intend to make from more expensive material. That way I make my mistakes on the cheap stuff and shorten the length of my learning curve; I think.....

:einstein:

Billet is the one thing i dont have much of myself. I know some of that aluminum id turn into a few qctp holders. Id rather use steel but if you dont beat them hard the aluminum should last for a bit.
true, qctp holders like a dial indicator holder, a holder with 2 ball bearings on it to push into center a piece.
And finally another holder that holds an indicator arm for moving around.

AL is great for fixtures. if you have a surface grinder make a balancing stand for the wheels.
if you have a mill you can make a dividing head for it.

Hello folks!
Been offline for a couple weeks, trying to get things accomplished around here.
Namely, finally got around to scrapping a ton of old air conditioners we've been storing for years.
Metal prices are through the roof, and it's finally paying good enough to scrap.
So, I took another 5k pounds of shred (just junk bulk sheet metal and parts) to the scrap yard. They're paying $11.15/100 pounds. And that's for things others pay to dispose of. So, I pocketed another $500+.
HOWEVER....The metal shop I use here just happens to be on the way home. ‍♂️
So, like the dummy I am, I just had to stop by.
And of course, they had a ton of drop off BILLET ALUMINUM!!!
Well, aluminum is running $3.50/pound. So I bought $400 worth of blocks, and round stock!
There's some 3/4×24" bars, some 8×8 blocks, and my favorite, a 3"×6' solid aluminum bar!!!
If you were a beginner with very limited skills, what kind of project would you suggest??
Here's a picture of the haul.
Oh, and I might have purchased a new welding machine last week, because why not??
Alright, here is what you gotta do:

1. Sort the chunks largest to smallest.
2. With the largest one, you're gonna wanna make yourself an eductor (AKA aspirator, ejector, venturi, jet-pump) as this will be a project that graduates you beyond your wildest hobbyist ambitions.
3. With the smallest one, you're gonna wanna find ye a cardboard box - just large enough to fit it now - may take some doing with a utility razor and some tape - don't be shy now, just cut some box to get a good fit box right?
4. Now, place that little beautiful chunk of aluminum into the box and tape-er-up nice and snug - no moving or shifting right?
5. Put my address on the box.
6. Place the box in the mail.
7. Have a nice cup of your poison-o-choice and smile as you relax and google the dimensions necessary to make an eductor.

Trust me, it'll all be worth it to me. :einstein:

Back