What should I get first?

I would figure out a general size of the things you are or may be interested in making, figure your budget remembering you will need at least basic tooling and measuring devices. Find machines that meet or exceed what you need for size. Browse every reputable tool venders machines and tools. Verify what the budget actually is. Ask questions here about various machines ( this is where we will help you blow the budget to pieces) Then make your best decision on which machine or machines to buy. I started with a 3in1 machine and still have it, It will make things but is a compromise in a lot of ways. If it were me in your shoes separate machines will be more conducive to learning and easier to operate in the long run. As for brand PM has a very nice 10x22 or 10x30 lathe and the PM25 would not need much in the way of upgrades vs the G704 (my two cents). But make sure you start with machines that fit the size work you would like to do even if you have to wait for the second machine.

It seems like you have an opinion poll going here. As others have said it there is a specific requirement, then buy the machine that will perform that task.

For general machining stuff - to start with, get a lathe. As has been pointed out numerous times above (and in many previous threads), get the biggest and best lathe you can manage (with in reason). If there is anyway you can "swing it" - blow your entire budget on that lathe (plus any fun money you have on hand). Get the core items that really only come with the machine when you purchase it (such as the TTA and steadies). You should get one 4J chuck, a drill chuck for the tailstock and one toolholder (plus what ever else you can get thrown in) - but don't sweat all that other stuff that you can get later one piece at a time (more chucks, carriage and tailstock tooling, DRO etc. - there is no end to the stuff you can add on).

The only way to add capacity is to purchase another lathe (which of course is a good idea - I have two and I'm looking for another one, I don't do any very large jobs, but I have been right on the edge of the 15" swing & 21" in the gap quite a few times). I have a very cute 11x24 lathe - the only time it get used is with the bigger one has a job set up or for threading to a shoulder as it will go down to 30 rpm and allows shift on the fly. I got the small lathe because it was just so cool, but the larger machine is more versatile. I'm like you, my machining is a bit of this and a bit of that, not big stuff, not small stuff. I'm a hobby guy, and for the first 25 years, all I had was that 15" - I've gone nuts over the past few years, but that's what happens if you stay in this game.

That G0602 is a 10x22 lathe. It depends on your requirements - but that will get eaten up real fast. Also, it only has a 1" bore, common threading and feed rod, and a threaded spindle. The lowest speed is 150 rpm (I think is way too fast - try cutting a 1/2" - 13 tpi thread and you'll grow gray hair pretty quick). Even going up to a 12" lathe opens up a lot more options.

Caveat: if some one offers you a good working mill for $5, then take it!

Let us know what you decide on. David

You can mill in a lathe but difficult to lathe or turn with a mill.

Good mill used are scarce as hens teeth so set a budget and start saving while looking.

Lathes show up everywhere for all price points so look at Craigslist in a 200 mile radius and read every add and touch as many as you can as it is like shopping for a used car.

You will learn the local market price and what to expect.

Older south bend or Logan can be picked up for a song if ugly and dirty and make great entry point tools.

We have went through maybe 8 or 12 to get our current 2 that we use and 2 we do not.

While looking keep eye out for a mill but they usually go fast if priced right.

I just ordered a PM 1127VF-LB. I was initially considering a 10x30, but after the advice here, decided that there were enough upgrades other than work envelope that it was worth it.

I'm sure I'll end up doing light milling on it, but I'm convinced getting the lathe first is the right way to go.

Welcome to the chicken or the egg decision. I needed a good drill press, so got a G0755 Grizzly instead, then I learned about Precision Machine (Matt), and when it was time I liked the service, and good feed back, so I got a 1228VF-LB. Good group here, your in good hands.

Therein lies the problem. There are just so many things I want to do. I would like to build model steam engines, mini IC engines. Fireworks tooling. Tools for woodworking. I undoubtedly will be getting both machines, I am just unsure of how to proceed in the beginning. It seems like the mill can replicate some of the lathe operations to a very limited degree. For instance, I could turn an OD with a boring head, and bore and ID as well. I'm just not sure the lathe can really replicate the Mill.

What about a dual machine like the G0156 or the G9729?

Also. What type of tooling should I be looking at for each machine? I'm thinking just basic beginner tooling. For the lathe, I'd need a cut off tool, a center drill, boring bar, a cutting tool set, knurling tool, etc. Anything else I will need? Id also like to cut threads, not sure if I will need any special tooling for that.

The milling machine is where I really get lost. I will want a boring head, and boring bar. I will definitely want a milling vice. Taps, end mill assortment (unsure, do I need more than one?), face mills (again, do I need an assortment of these?), Fly cutter (is this the same as a face mill?), dovetail cutters, clamping kit, etc. I am quite sure I am missing a ton of stuff.

As for the mill, which machine do you think is better? The grizzly or PM?

Both those machines are pretty light weight. Although I'm not familiar with either of them, just going by the specs. As many people have found a dual purpose machine is at best a compromise generally not doing either very well.

From the list of things you want to I don't think the machines you have mentioned so far are big enough. Have you had a look at the designs for these projects. The model steam engines usually have quite sizable flywheels, your lateh will need to be able to fit them.

I would be looking at a 12x 20 as a minimum. I know my own lathe is a 12 x 16 but I have a space limitation and I definately wanted min 12" dia swing, so had to get the shorter bed. If I had the room I would have gone for a 14 x 36 with gap bed, but no room.
Also don't ever think you can't do milling operations on a lathe, by mounting parts in a chuck or on a face plate, you can face off flat surfaces. You can even mount parts on the crosslide and put milling cutters in holders that fit the lathe spindle. A lathe can be modified to be a useful milling machine. You just have to think about it. Finally as others have said check out your local tech or high schools for suitable classes.

Bob.

I should note, I have a hard limit of 3k. That includes shipping and tooling. Obviously that is for this initial purchase, I will continue buying new tooling, and new machines. I like the precision Matthews, but they are a little bit out of my price range. I also am convinced that separate machines are the way to go. I was just curious if anyone else had any experience with combo machines.

With regard to the firework tooling, and a lathe with a taper attachment, I though I could cut a taper with the cross slide?

Both those machines are pretty light weight. Although I'm not familiar with either of them, just going by the specs. As many people have found a dual purpose machine is at best a compromise generally not doing either very well.

From the list of things you want to I don't think the machines you have mentioned so far are big enough. Have you had a look at the designs for these projects. The model steam engines usually have quite sizable flywheels, your lateh will need to be able to fit them.

I would be looking at a 12x 20 as a minimum. I know my own lathe is a 12 x 16 but I have a space limitation and I definately wanted min 12" dia swing, so had to get the shorter bed. If I had the room I would have gone for a 14 x 36 with gap bed, but no room.
Also don't ever think you can't do milling operations on a lathe, by mounting parts in a chuck or on a face plate, you can face off flat surfaces. You can even mount parts on the crosslide and put milling cutters in holders that fit the lathe spindle. A lathe can be modified to be a useful milling machine. You just have to think about it. Finally as others have said check out your local tech or high schools for suitable classes.

Bob.

I just signed up for the local JC. Trying to get enrolled for next semester. I would love to get a larger lathe, but I just don't have the money for it right now. really, a 10" is going to be the best I can do for at least a couple years. I am sure I will upgrade to a lager space and lathe after a while, but for now I think I am stuck with a 10", not JUST because of the money, but space limitations also.

I am glad to hear I will be able to do some milling operations on the lathe. But I really look forward to having both.

Just a side note, is there any ways to actually use the lathe to supplement my income? Help pay for an upgrade and possibly a mill? That would be awesome.

Welcome!

Buy the biggest lathe you can afford, used you get a lot of bang for your buck. Might be worth it to look around before committing yourself to a small hobby machine. You are in an area of the country that should have machines available within a few hours of you.:encourage:

Good luck, happy hunting!

You might think... I have been looking on craigslist, but can never seem to find any decent deals. Anytime I do see a good deal, it is for a machine WAY to large for me. Maybe there are some other places I can check out to buy used? Any ideas?

snyper1982,
With the new IT format it is difficult to now your general location.
There are occasionally threads here at HM where someone is looking for a Mentor. Consider posting your location. There may be someone just down the street or at least a reasonable driving distance who wouldn't mind spending a day with you doing some hands on.

Daryl
MN

Oh. I am in Modesto, California. A mentor would be awesome!

Back