What should I look for in a mask?

tmenyc

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I need a mask for grinding...what do you recommend?
Tim

I got one of them $14 jobs from the big-box store (the blue one I think). Works fine and if you scratch it up too much, it's cheap to replace.

I should have been more specific: i have squints, I've found that I'm not fond of the taste of metal and the dressing dust.
Tim

I have a couple half-face ones (respirators, that is) from North as well as 3M. Silicone face piece is soft and conforms well, P100 filters can either be the plastic cartridge type or the lighter soft, padded material without the plastic shell. It's important to have one that fits your face. I wear my normal glasses with either of these, no problems.

One thing I would not recommend is a big-box store sealed in a clamshell variety. Lots of places around here seem to be carrying these now for the homeowner, but the cartridges can't be replaced and the face pieces can be really cheap. I'd avoid those unless you need it for just one or two specific projects.

-frank

Last edited:
I use a dust mask when i'm grinding, whichever one you get make sure it's easy to wash as they can get a bit smelly and grimmy with all the hard work.

I had one that didn't like being washed and messed the valves up a bit, my current one is a generic brand twin round filter mask and has been doing quite well for at least 6 months now (maybe more).

Stu

One thing I would not recommend is a big-box store sealed in a clamshell variety. Lots of places around here seem to be carrying these now for the homeowner, but the cartridges can't be replaced and the face pieces can be really cheap. I'd avoid those unless you need it for just one or two specific projects.

-frank
As much as I hate throwing out stuff, and buying quality that lasts, the last time I tried to find cartridges for my mask (wear it when spray painting) it was cheaper to buy the disposable one than the filters for my ancient one. Surprisingly it fit beter than my old ones.
Switching to powder coating so I don't need a mask. Nice not having the paint fumes hang in the shop for days, no gun wash, no expensive hardener/ catalyst but Im certain the powder isn't good for the environment if it gets loose, expect its the notorious micro plastic beads that are showing up in the water.

Greg

Back