What should I look for in a mask?

As much as I hate throwing out stuff, and buying quality that lasts, the last time I tried to find cartridges for my mask (wear it when spray painting) it was cheaper to buy the disposable one than the filters for my ancient one.

Agreed. Between the cost, the shipping, and the delay, I decided to just keep buying the crap $15 dollar ones. I have a couple of old ones around that are almost opaque that I use for stuff like overhead wire-wheel work, where the mask is gonna be toast regardless.

I had looked at these (uvex bionic face shield) but prefer the flip-up mask. OP might like this style though.

Thin, give me a good example of a decent disposable please?

I use this one for painting and grinding lathe tools. P100 carts will be fine for grinding dust.

For grinding you're not looking for a respirator but rather a dust filter mask. Check out McMaster-Carr #53565T2. Has replaceable filters, inexpensive, comfortable, works very well and lasts a long time..........Bob

Mikey, the url link doesn't go through?

Try this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HXBCMG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have used this for some time now. Just bought another as a replacement. The reason I like this one is that it is comfortable, so I am more likely to use it. After a short time, I don't even notice that I have it on. No restriction to breathing, no smell, no dust or paint fumes or organic vapors gets in with the right filters.

3M 8271 for me for grinding
Cheers
Martin

Back