what should I pay for this Enco mill?

I'm glad you are considering the logistics of the mill besides the space it takes up. A good strong table and a way to transport and lift it. My favorite way to lift around my shop is my HF folding engine hoist. At 750lbs it can do some damage to itself or anything it falls on. I know that's light compared to "real" mills but it will still put you in the hospital if it falls.

ARC, it sounds like your space is a pretty hard constraint - that's simply reality. Absolutely, put everything you can on wheels. I was seriously space constrained for many years. We finally added on a nice sized work shop. My main machines are set on the floor, but everything I can I get wheels under it, or sits on purpose built blocks. I also have a pallet jack which is super handy - the equipment that is on blocks is very easy to move. The point being that if you have a good arrangement to move things, then you can work with more items in that space.

There is nothing wrong with paying "gold plated" prices, so long as you get a machine that is likewise really super nice. Everyone dreams of getting the gold plated machine for super cheap. Yes, it does happen, but it is sort of like winning a lottery - it happens, but don't count on it. I picked up several "screaming good, you suck" deals - however, none of them looked like it at the time (they started out looking horrible). The first machine I got, I paid the "gold plated price" for a used (just slightly used, but not brand new) very nice lathe.

In retrospect, paying the money and getting into a good machine off the bat, turned out very well. I went through all the same agony (actually it was a lot of fun) of ordering catalogs, getting machining books, talking to machinists, looking at machines etc for about 3 years. I kept saving up money - and finally went ahead and spent the cash. For the lathe, the power, the transport and the first round of basic tooling it was about $16,000 - and that was in 1983. Your situation is different, you are much more knowledgeable about machining and you have access to machines - I had neither of those when I started.

I do not agree that since this is a hobby, the machine has to be cheap. All in I have about $30,000 into 10 machines (depending on what you define as a real machine) - I know plenty of folks who have more than that in a boat, RV, sleds, truck, . . . hobbies which cost more and are used less than the hobby I am into. Spending $5000 for a decent little machine gets a person going (sounds like you know machines - $5K is still cheap, and all the machines you have mentioned are bottom end - even brand new there is nothing gold plated about them at all). If you start with a decent machine, it will always be useful - even when / if you get more machines. That first lathe that I bought back in 1983 is still a very useful part of my kit (I now have lots more iron, but that first lathe is my go to machine).

I suggest you pass on the mentioned CL machine and look for a more competent machine (while saving some funds, get your transport lined up, think about your work space and power), and be ready to move fast.

Update: the seller wants $850. Based on paying $2750 new for it about 7 years ago. Seller says he's a master machinist (60 years). Comes with a collet set and a few bits. He says he's used it and it cuts like a bigger mill (.020" cuts instead of .001" like the other similar machines).
Thoughts?

The seller's comments make no sense. "Cuts like a bigger machine"! That does not mean anything. It can take a 0.020" cut. In what material at what feed rate? At $850 it is cheap enough that if you end up with something that does not work for you, then your loss is pretty small (you could sell it on for something?).

Well, sorry I ain't buyin' it. 6-7 yrs ago the Enco RF30(the bigger/heavier/better IMHO) was $1800 which I thought was outrageous. Just my 2c.

Update: the seller wants $850. Based on paying $2750 new for it about 7 years ago. Seller says he's a master machinist (60 years). Comes with a collet set and a few bits. He says he's used it and it cuts like a bigger mill (.020" cuts instead of .001" like the other similar machines).
Thoughts?

For comparison I can take a 1/4" depth of cut with a 4 flute 3/4" end mill on my RF-30. If .020" is all it can do then walk away.

I'm not sure how much of what he was telling me was BS. I just asked questions and posted what he told me. I got the impression this was on a tool room on a ship. He's selling it because it's an extra one.

I mentioned the HF machine was similar and about $900 with a coupon. He said this machine is way better.

He told me if I can "move it by hand" I can have it for free. I'm wondering if there's a way I could actually move it by hand. It's in the back of a pickup truck. I could back my pickup truck up to it and figure out some way of getting it from one to the other. It was 800 lbs!

He told me if I can "move it by hand" I can have it for free. I'm wondering if there's a way I could actually move it by hand. It's in the back of a pickup truck. I could back my pickup truck up to it and figure out some way of getting it from one to the other. It was 800 lbs!

Finally looking at a potentially worthwhile deal. Where there's a will there's a way.

I think you mentioned it was on "Star of India". That's a museum ship in San Diego. The conditions may not have been ideal, in terms of environment. But the people who would have used it are likely quite competent.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I was under the impression that these machines are all made in the same factory, just with different paint and QC levels. Am I totally wrong?

I think he was kidding when he said I could have it if I could move it. I mentioned bringing a hoist, but he told me I needed to use my hands. Whatever. I can't really think of a way to move 800 lbs with nothing but my bare hands. I would need some sort of lever. I thought of putting small pipe under the mill and rolling it from his truck into mine (provided he doesn't put it on the ground). I figure I could rock it to give me some room to stick a pipe under it. I get one under it, the rest will go under, then I could roll it. Not sure this would be considered "bare hands" though.

Is $850 a fair price? Based on a new one being $1800, it's not bad, but based on the previous comments in this thread that seems high. He was originally asking $1250. I asked him again and he told me $950, but he would take $850. He mentioned "they" were asking that price, so he may just be an employee. I countered with $600, got rejected. I may just need to walk away; I got time, and this is a long drive anyway. I think I'd pay about $400 based on the HF one being $900 with a 25% coupon and not wanting to pay more than half of new for anything used, especially on CL. It's not really a deal if I have to pay more. That said, let me know if I'm wrong.

Back