VN What size arbor is best???

... Perhaps what Cal was saying is that there is a NMTB 50 Collet / Insert adaptor (Draw In Tube) that was available so that the VN no2 (50V) collets & inserts could be used? ...
Working from memory (an increasing bad thing to do), I had recalled that No. 22 machines were available with "No. 2" taper spindles (among other tapers), but I am not able to confirm that. The only machine that I found for sure that had a No. 2 taper spindle was the No. 1V (vertical), which is rarer than hen's teeth.

Van Norman No. 2 milling machines were large horizontal milling machines and every brochure or manual that I have lists them as having a 50 NST (aka NMTB or NMTBA) taper spindles. There were No. 2 collet adapters for 50 NST, so a No. 2 milling machine could use a No. 2 collet (via an adapter) but, as far as I know, none had a No. 2 taper spindle.

Smaller Van Norman "duplex" or "ram type" milling machines Nos. 6, 12, 16, and 16L appear to have only been made with the "C" spindle taper. The No. 16S and 16M could be ordered with either a "C" or 30 NST taper, as could the later 1RQ and 2RQ.

The No. 22 duplex milling machines were built with B&S (Brown & Sharpe) #13 tapers as well as 40 NST and 50 NST tapers. If you wanted collets for your No. 22 milling machine, you ordered a No. 2 taper adapter for your spindle and No. 2 collets.

The larger machines (30V, 24M, 26, 36, 38, 2R-3-28, 2R-5-28, 3R-10-34, etc.), appear to have all had 50 NST taper spindles.

Now, all that said, I have no doubt that there were Van Normans with other spindle taper made. The above is what appears to be the common spindle tapers.

Dividing heads and sub-heads for the smaller (6, 12, 16, 16L) machines had "C" spindle tapers. The dividing heads and sub-heads for the larger machines usually had "No. 2" spindle tapers and could use "No. 2" collets without an adapter.

Cal, thanks for posting the VN collet/spindle nomenclature. No end of confusion trying to keep VN collet naming and sizes straight at least for me.

So I just read an old thread (5 or 10 years ago,maybe) over on PM where you mentioned some fellow was making you a C taper 1 1/4" arbor for your VN 12. Did that ever work out? I am seeing a lot more availability of shell mill cutters in 1 1/4" and 1 1/2" ID than the 1" or 3/4" size tooling. So as I am planning to restore my VN 12 this winter, now wondering if I wouldn't be ahead of the game to make a couple 1 1-4" arbors and try to standardize on that larger size?

Any thoughts ??

Thanks
Glenn

Dividing heads and sub-heads for the smaller (6, 12, 16, 16L) machines had "C" spindle tapers. The dividing heads and sub-heads for the larger machines usually had "No. 2" spindle tapers and could use "No. 2" collets without an adapter.

My 22 series dividing head has a NST (NMTB) 50 taper, and came with a 4-jaw chuck w/backplate to match the head.

on edit: I forgot to put in what size holder the dividing head takes, it's a 50

Last edited:
Cal, thanks for posting the VN collet/spindle nomenclature. No end of confusion trying to keep VN collet naming and sizes straight at least for me.

So I just read an old thread (5 or 10 years ago,maybe) over on PM where you mentioned some fellow was making you a C taper 1 1/4" arbor for your VN 12. Did that ever work out? I am seeing a lot more availability of shell mill cutters in 1 1/4" and 1 1/2" ID than the 1" or 3/4" size tooling. So as I am planning to restore my VN 12 this winter, now wondering if I wouldn't be ahead of the game to make a couple 1 1-4" arbors and try to standardize on that larger size?

Any thoughts ??

Thanks
Glenn
Glenn,

I don't remember what happened there, not ringing any bells

You're probably right that 1-1/4" would be a handy size to have. I've toyed with the idea of grafting a "C" taper (with drive dog plate) end onto the end of a commercial arbor (wack of the existing end, braze on Van Norman end). One of the import tool outfits used to have reasonably priced 30 and 40 taper arbors, but I can't find them now. Might also want to start with a length of 1-1/4" precision ground, keyed shafting and do the same sort of thing. (Just a thought.)

I'm surprised no one has started making them to sell. I'm sure the markets there tho small. How hard would a CNC have to work to knock out a dozen or so at $200. Each.

I'm surprised no one has started making them to sell. I'm sure the markets there tho small. How hard would a CNC have to work to knock out a dozen or so at $200. Each.
The guy that runs tools4cheap (?) had "C" collets, end-mill holders and shell mill holders made up over seas and offered them for a while, but I guess he didn't make enough from the first batch for it to be worth his time to order more once he ran out.

Back