What size caliper?

If I had to purchase one caliper, it would be an 8" Mitutoyo digital, more versatile. The 6" are too short for all around work, IMHO, you will quickly
run out of "room" and you don't have to extend the jaws too far for more accurate measurements. The 6" caliper is not as accurate
at 5" or more, at the end of it's travel. When you have to measure over 5"-6", you'll wish you had the 8". Much easier to use.
The 6", you run out handle space quickly, very little beam left to hold. The 8" gives me plenty to hold, even with a 5" measurement.

Also have a 6" dial caliper. The Mitutoyo digitals are very accurate and last a long time., larger jaws than a 6" also.

Up until this point I have only had an unbranded dial caliper, for anything "important" I've begged and borrowed tools from some real machinist friends. That being said, I would like to buy a decent caliper to have around the shop and am stuck on what size to go with. 6" calipers are plentiful, and therefore a bit cheaper, but they are limited to... 6" 12" calipers are great, but if I'm measuring something still on a machine, I am afraid their size will become a hindrance. I am leaning towards an 8" model; while it isn't "that much more" it will allow me to measure things in the ~6" OAL range. Anyone have any thoughts?
That will depend totally on what you work with.
Me, most of my work is in the 6" range.
So 6" works for me.
I don't think Carbide jaws are necessary. If you work on large items a 6 and 12 would cover the range, while an 8 won't cover the 12, and your only gaining 2 inches over a 6.

If I had to purchase one caliper, it would be an 8" Mitutoyo digital, more versatile. The 6" are too short for all around work, IMHO, you will quickly
run out of "room" and you don't have to extend the jaws too far for more accurate measurements. The 6" caliper is not as accurate
at 5" or more, at the end of it's travel. When you have to measure over 5"-6", you'll wish you had the 8". Much easier to use.
The 6", you run out handle space quickly, very little beam left to hold. The 8" gives me plenty to hold, even with a 5" measurement.

Also have a 6" dial caliper. The Mitutoyo digitals are very accurate and last a long time., larger jaws than a 6" also.

+1 on the Mitutoyo 8". I bought one when my 6" dial caliper wasn't long enough for some jobs I was doing. I still use the dial
caliper for some things, but I like the digital a lot. If you do much work with metric stuff, they're nice because it does the math
for you converting from metric to inches or vice versa. There's no downside to the longer caliper: it just gives you more capability.

Hmmm, much food for thought. Thank you all for your reply(ies).

The general consensus seems to be 6", with some detractors. I was originally pretty set on a Mitutoyo digital based on pricing I had originally seen, but it seems the market is flooded with Chinese copies. I'm sure if I go to a reputable seller I can get a genuine one, but that also raises the price. I'm not necessarily opposed to buying a set of Chinese digital calipers, but I would buy an Igaging or Shars Aventor set that openly states what they are rather than a fake knockoff.

A few comments got me thinking that maybe I should just get a decent dial caliper instead. There is nothing wrong with a dial caliper, and I am comfortable using them, they just aren't as new and flashy. So back to the interwebs I went thinking "I'll check out Mitutoyo, they're a good brand and not as pricey as the American/European brands" well it seems all their dial calipers these days are made in Brazil not Japan and have quality reviews to match.

All that rambling aside, I'm not much closer to a resolution than I was before. I'm thinking maybe the best course of action would be to find a nice used set of dial calipers Mitutoyo, Starrett, B&S, Fowler etc. Is there anything to be particularly concerned about in buying used calipers?

One comment was made that I can't let go unchallenged. Someone stated that calipers weren't as accurate near the end of their travel. As someone that has repaired and calibrated hundreds of digital calipers I know for a fact that the problem of accuracy is not with the caliper, it is with the user. The further you open the moveable jaw the less there is for the user to hang onto with their right hand for thumb leverage. If accuracy is required it's best to measure "wide open" with two hands, one holding each jaw. It's very easy to see the result holding the caliper each way on a 6" standard.

A dial caliper can be fragile, and expensive to repair. It does not work well for metric/imperial, rather either/or. I am using a pair of HF 6" digital calipers I got about 5 years ago. Still going strong, smooth, no issues, more than accurate enough for anything a digital caliper should be trusted to measure. It is still on the original battery, and it came with a spare. It cost $10 on sale, less 20% coupon, and a free flashlight with a coupon as well. I also bought a spare one near the same time with the same coupons, it is still new in the box. When my first one dies, I will not bat an eye as I throw it in the trash. I scribe layout lines with it, even on a running lathe. It has been used essentially every day, multiple times, and not babied. I would not use an expensive digital caliper this way, so I do not have one...

My real backup caliper is an older 6" Kanon vernier model, made in Japan. Nicely made, no batteries. New in the box. It will last though the apocalypse. I have a couple nice dial calipers, also as new in the box, never touch them.

If accuracy is required it's best to measure "wide open" with two hands, one holding each jaw. It's very easy to see the result holding the caliper each way on a 6" standard.

This is how I do it almost all the time, it makes it much easier to feel if you are square to the work.

I agree with Bob Korves... For me anyways, YMMV, but if I want something close I'll use my mikes. And, a lot of times even if I don't want something close I'll still use my mikes! ;)

But, I also realize that some people either don't want to or can't afford to buy mikes since the price can quickly add up.

Ted

Not adding anything but I have non-digital 6" calipers at my lathes and mill (Mitutoyo with carbide jaws); those get the most use. I have a set of 8" and 12" digitals and dial types at each lathe and mill also; those get little use. Have a digital SPI 6" at my Clausing and a HF at the Grizzly. Bought a 24" dial off eBay that's been used once. I use a 4" dial at my layout bench a lot. Also have a cheap carbon fiber digital 4" at my stock rack for quick diameter checks (tape measure also).

Bruce

Back