What Size Clamping Kit For An Atlas Mill?

JPMacG

Active User
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I checked Shars, Grizzly, Little Machine Shop and Harbor Freight but I did not find a clamping kit that would fit the MFC slots well.

The bottom slot width measures 0.62" and the top opening 0.37". So the the T-nut could be 1/2" or 9/16". The stud would need to be 5/16" because a T-nut for a 3/8" stud would not fit the top opening.

I suppose I could get a clamping kit with 5/16 studs and make my own T-nuts to fit the Atlas. What are others doing?

OK. I measured more carefully. It appears that the smallest Shars clamping kit will fit perfectly. My apologies.

I checked Shars, Grizzly, Little Machine Shop and Harbor Freight but I did not find a clamping kit that would fit the MFC slots well.

The bottom slot width measures 0.62" and the top opening 0.37". So the the T-nut could be 1/2" or 9/16". The stud would need to be 5/16" because a T-nut for a 3/8" stud would not fit the top opening.

I suppose I could get a clamping kit with 5/16 studs and make my own T-nuts to fit the Atlas. What are others doing?
I made my own Tee nuts for my clamping set because the mill slot width was for a 5/8 Tee nut and the studs were 3/8 - 16 threads with 9/16" Tee nuts and they really did not fit the mill properly.
It was a relatively easy exercise to make them and I have been using them for more than thirty years now.

Since I'm getting close to usability with my mill I would like to revisit this question.

If you purchased a clamping kit for you mill:

1) Which one did you purchase?

2) Do the "T" nuts fit? (I measure my slots at about 9/16" but the kits appear to be 5/8" on paper.)
2b) If not did you make new ones or modify the supplied ones?

3) How useful have you found the clamping kit?

Thanks!

Since you originally posted this I obtained a Atlas Mill. I am using the same hold down set that I was using on my shaper. On the T nuts I had to clean up the edges some. I also purchased some square head 3/8" bolts and turned down the heads so they were thinner.

Rob,

So did you purchase the Grizzly T25250, Shars 202-4470 or other?

Thanks

Rich

I purchased a 5/16" Te-Co set for my Atlas mill. But if I had it to do over again, I would skip the set and just purchase the individual components. The studs that come with most sets are really much too long for the Atlas mill. I think the shortest ones are 3" long. I ended up buying shorter studs individually. Zoro tools sells the individual components pretty cheap.

You may have to thin the T-nuts down. If you do, screw a flanged nut onto one of the longer studs and then a T-nut with the stud stopping short of poking through by about two threads. Tighten the flanged nut against the T-nut. Use a bench grinder to first cut through the usually case hardened bottom. Then put the stud in a 3-jaw chuck on the lathe with the nut up against the jaws and face it to desired thickness. Use a carbide cutter.

Back